Chapter 1

It has been a few years since the accident occurred. Chaewon still has lingering thoughts about the cheese lover‌ occasionally. She just ignores them, though. Not like Hitomi is going to magically appear in front of her again. She is dead, is what the poor girl has been telling herself for the past four years.

It is now a new school, in a district she was not even familiar with and she has to deal with it for the next three years. That was what her results could get her into, one of the more prestigious schools, as much as she could only barely afford it.

-Chaewon POV-

Time to go through another round of social anxiety. Why can't we just have the same school for all ages? This thought has run through my mind like 3 times in my entire lifetime. I mean, nobody can blame me. I am introverted after all. Unlike someone else, Miss Ahn Yujin, the definition of extrovert. She bonds well with others. I want that trait, ‌but I just cannot afford to do that. My anxiety will get the best of me. Haish, life is tough.

Now that I am in this school, I can't change that, can I? Well, school is about to start if we don't hurry. "YAAAAA, quicken up. Class is about to start. Yujin, stop looking at boys."

To be honest, Yujin is one of my best friends, who probably knows me inside out by now. I hope so at least. She could be one hell of a good friend that comforts me as well as a counsellor, or she could just goof around like a 10-year-old. I am sorry, Yujin; it had to be said.

She has been with me since three years ago? I think so. She knows I love mint choco, well she is not that alright with mint choco. I have a plan to make her fall in love with it, but she doesn't know about it yet. She can tease me for all she wants. Once she falls in love with the flavour, it is payback time tehe. Just you wait, Ahn Yujin.

Ah, there is our class, 1M-2. Eh, we are in the second class? Thought that I barely made it into this school and yet I am still in the second class? Damn, I am such an excellent student. "Stop flattering yourself, Kim Chaewon."

Wait a minute, did she just read my mind?

"No. You're just saying your thoughts out loud." Ouch, that hurt. This girl is also a savage, much like her...

Gosh, I am thinking about her again. She has disappeared from your life Chaewon, stop thinking about her. It is about time you move on with your own life in this new school. It has been four years already. Yujin briefly checked the timetable and notified me of our schedule for the day. Looking at the double music, double science and double mathematics today, my brain is going to be fried by the end of it all. "Who is our teacher for mathematics again?"

"Yujin, are you dumb? You just read the timetable, girl. She is Ms Ezaki, one of the younger teachers. By the way, if you did not know, she is also our homeroom teacher."

If Yujin tops the class this year, I will change my school somehow or rather. Ah, school is starting.

-Yujin POV-

Well, I would be energised for class, if not for Chaewon unnie ranting to me last night about how much she hates coming to a new school. Unlike now, being a little idiot who cannot get any information into her. As much as I want to, it locked my brain up. There goes my plan to be an excellent student this year. Chaewon, you will pay for this. Someway somehow.

Poor Chaewon, thinking that her childhood best friend is dead when she is alive now. I mean, I do not know for sure, but the way she disappeared seemed too unorthodox. For me at least, I feel like it was staged, and she is probably still alive and kicking.

Ugh, although I am decent at it, I hate mathematics. Someone please save me now, but this teacher is cute though. OMG, what the hell are you thinking, Yujin? We came here to study, not to look at others, much less, teachers. Get that out. As that thought came across my mind, I started knocking on my head. "Ms Ahn Yujin, are you okay?"

I then realised that the teacher was calling me. "Yes, I am fine, no worries Ms Ezaki." I swear I could hear Chaewon unnie stifling her laugh. God damn, why must this happen on the first day? Now, I have successfully embarrassed myself early in this school year.

-Time skip-

YAYYYY, it is break time. All of us needed this break. Who knew teachers would 'kindly' bombard us with knowledge on the first day? By left and right, isn't the first day of school supposed to be orientation...

"Quick, quick, quick! We got to secure our seats in the canteen."

"Yea, yea, you introverted girl."

"Shut up. Ah, that corner seat!" Chaewon exclaimed as she rushed towards the seat she just mentioned. Time to go get food for the both of us. Hmm, what should we eat today? I am craving for some bread today. Bread it is then!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7, 7 choices here. I am just going to get 1 and 2, the triple cheese filling and the croissant. "2 of each, please."

"That would be 10,500 won. By card or cash?"

I flashed out my card, prompting the cashier to start the card receptor. Feels great to own a card of my own, the power I hold. After making the payment, I proceeded to where Chaewon was sitting, to hand the 2 types of pastry I brought over to her hands. I was not expecting her reaction though...

-Chaewon POV-

Ah, triple cheese filling, the flavour that Hitomi liked best. Her reaction whenever I bought it for her, is absolutely priceless... As I thought of that, tears were welling up in my eyes. I miss her so much. It has been 4 years now. I thought I had forgotten her; I guess not. "Hey, are you ok? You are tearing up."

"What do you think? Just sit down and eat the bread." This girl excels at stating the obvious, I swear. I munched on the bread as quickly as possible, stopping myself from having any memories resurfacing. Afterwards, I darted back to the class, eager for this day to be over.

-Time Skip-

The lessons after the break were peaceful, with no sudden occurrences. I wanted to go back home to cover myself up with my blanket after going through a little emotional roller coaster for the day. Thankfully, Yujin thought likewise, she quickly went home too.

The air seemed normal, yet something about it suffocated me. Strolling back home using the usual route, nothing interesting happened. That was until I saw a familiar figure at a crossroad. Viewing her side profile, it rang a bell in me. Is that Hitomi?