CHAPTER 3

It was morning already. I checked the time on the wall, it was 8: 49AM.
" Oh no".
Mom probably had already left for sun city. I ran to the bathroom to take a quick shower.
I put on a red short gown from my closet which revealed my lap, yes! it was that short. I didn't have time to apply makeup but I did my eyeliner.
"Omg, this looks  so good", I smirked, admiring the way the eyeliner came out at the sight of it through my mirror.
I couldn't even prepare breakfast as there was no time to do that, the school bus would have probably left.
"No way this is happening, the school is going to give me my money for the one day I didn't make the ride", I yelled.
I checked my phone, it was 9 o clock at the dot and I was still at home.
"Embarrassment is sure for me today", I muttered.
I ran out of the house looking like my grandma who was a piece of shit, that old lady wanted me to go to boarding school.
"Am already late, what is the point of going to school, let me just stay home", I said to myself.
" No way, I can't sit at home", I remembered it was test week and I had an English test by 9 o clock.
I had to use an uber to my school.
I booked an uber which arrived at my house exactly 9:30 AM, which then took me to school.

On getting to school, I ran as usual to my class.
"This school needs an elevator , this stairs aren't it", I cried while running on it to my class.
As usual, I gazed through the window to see what was going on in class. Miss Lucia was coming out
of the class with the test papers, they are probably done with the test. Am so doomed.
" Follow me", miss Lucia said. I followed her to her office dragging my red short gown down which revealed my precious lap as I lumbered trying to catch up with her. On getting to her office, she started her questioning.
"Why are you late miss Jadah?".
I needed to think of a very logical lie that could warrant such late coming, and that too very fast.
" Ehh, miss Lucia, I had a muscle cramp, coupled with my period starting this morning', I replied.
"Are you fine now?".
" Yes miss Lucia".
She did my test for me in her office.
"No way, am going to have a C if not a D", I said pensively.
But at least, I would be graded for it, that was better than an absent.

It was the bell for break. I went to the cafeteria. I ordered 1 hotdog and a Pepsi. I saw a vacant seat in the cafeteria, I went there to sit and have my lunch.
I finished eating my lunch on time, because we had  9 minutes  left till the break was over.
As I was about stepping out of the cafeteria, two sets of students were coming my way with their orders in their hands, we clashed at each other resulting me into falling like a fool on the floor and their orders falling on me. It was a joke to all as they laughed at me. A number of them were taking shots of me while some videoing me in that humiliating state I was.
My short red gown made matters worse. My pink
inner tie was revealed, I hated my- self for wearing such gown to school.
Amidst all of that, a guy came to assist me to get up by offering his hands to me, it was the blonde headed guy I sat with yesterday at the cafeteria.
"Are you okay?".
"Does it look like????, apparently no! thanks
anyways".
I picked my bag from the floor as I ran out of the cafeteria in shame. I said it earlier, embarrassment was sure for me. They all laughed till they suffices.

It was the bell for closing.
" Thank you God, this day had to finally come to an end".
I arrived home exactly 4:34pm. I went to my room to freshen up. I had a really bad  day.  I heard the bell rang.
"Cousin Vincent is here"' I smirked.
I happily ran down stairs to open the door for him, but to my greatest surprise, it wasn't him, it was....

It was Mom at the door.
"What! mom!, aren't you suppose to be at sun city, or was your meeting cancelled?".
Mom didn't even look at me, she walked in and went to her room. I was blown away, cause mom smelt differently, she seemed to be even taller, she dressed differently.
" What has happened to mom?".
I ran after her as she went to her room. As I was about entering inside her room, the bell rang again. "Who could be there?", I said.
I went down stairs to open the door. It was cousin Vincent. For like 29 seconds I was perplexed as I stared at  Vincent. Myriad of thoughts went through my mind all once.
Mom is here and Vincent too, what the hell is happening. I was snapped out of my
thought by cousin Vincent, who interrupted my thought.
" Is this how you welcome vour long- seen cousin?". "Ehm, am sorry Vincent, come in".
I took his red luggage up- stairs to our visitor's room. " I will be right back Vincent, let me tell mom you are here", I said, exiting his room [our visitors
room], all confused again.
" If mom is here, why is Vincent here? something is
not just right, and mom...", I said as I hurriedly ran to moms room.
On getting to her door, I knocked because it was our home etiquette, mom didn't respond. I
knocked numerous times but was to no avail. I then had to open the door.
"mom?", I called out to her. I made my way to her bathroom cursory but she wasn't there.
"My day is totally bad".
I went down stairs to see if mom would be in the sitting room.
On getting to the sitting room, I saw our entrance door broadly opened. I skulk my way outside,
there I saw mom, giving a man who I could barely see an envelope, telling him something I couldn't hear properly, all I heard was;
" the CCTV and be careful, make sure no one sees you".
What is mom going to do with a CCTV?.
Something is not just right, school already ruined my day, I don't want my day to be further ruined.
I waited patiently for mom to come back.
As she stepped into the sitting room banging the door behind her, she turned abruptly to my direction
in total shock at the sight of my presence.
" What did you hear Jadah?", mom said to me in a raspy voice.
" Mom, you had better start explaining to me what the the hell is going on", I squawked.
" Ehm, Jadah, come here, ehmmmmm.."
"Mom!, what do you want to say",I interrupted her.
"Darling, I couldn't make it to sun city as my boss was informed I have a daughter who can't  stay home all by herself".
" Really mom???, I taught you sorted this out yesterday night with your boss, and you only said it was important, so how come you are making up this
story, and if I would believe that, why is Vincent here?"- Mom was palpitated in shock.
" Ehmmmm, I need to rest Madison, we will talk
later".
" Mom, who the hell is Madison??, you are losing it mom, you are not okay, I need to call our
family doctor". She became even more scared.
" I'm fine Jadah, I need to take a nap, I had a really rough day", Mom said walking her way upstairs to her room.
Mom seemed to be quite different.
" This isn't my mom", I said rather too goofy.

I  headed on to Vincent room (our visitors room}, I knocked.
" Come in ", Vincent said.
I entered his room. He seemed to have already settled in perfectly.
" How was your trip, Vincent?."
"It was bad, the shuttle I entered was the main issue. The passengers couldn't let me be comfortable, everyone was like, can I please take a picture with you, I love you so much, you are my crush. People slyly taking pictures of me, I wasn't comfortable at all". Vincent said.
" Hahaha, you lier, why would anyone want to take pictures with you or even do that stealthy, are you a celeb or something?".
"Well, I won't say am a celeb but am quite famous, I taught you knew this".
I didn't even talk too much. I brought
out my phone from my pocket to search up his name, 28 missed calls where what I saw on my phone screen, but from who? I checked and it was from mom.
" Why would mom call me 28 times ?", I said looking worried.
" Are you okay", Vincent asked me.
" I hope so".
Confusion was written all over my face. Mom didn't even talk about the missed calls which she should as that was one of her pet-aversion.
" What's going on", I said to myself.
I called mom back not considering whether we were under the same roof or not.
"The number you're calling is currently switched off", said my dam phone.
"Vincent am coming, let me go to mom's
room, I will be back", I said as I left his room banging the door.

On getting to mom's room. I knocked as usual at her door, but she didn't respond. I walked in.
On her bed she was, lying on top, covering herself with a blanket from her head to her toe. Her  windows were broadly opened. I could feel the wind making their way through my blonde hair, I felt like I was in a Bollywood scene {Indian movie} as I played along to what nature was offering me that moment forgetting my purpose for coming into moms room. I had to eventually get to my senses.
" Mom! I need to talk to you, this is very imperative", she didn't respond.
I stood up and was ready to leave her room, another myriad of winds came in the room through the window, it was so intense blowing up away
anything that was light, the wind did blow moms blanket away from her body,what I saw on her bed shocked me.
She wasn't in her bed but rather a mannequin. I bellowed in shock, which brought Vincent running towards moms room.
"Are you okay?", Vincent said to me as he ran towards me.
"What is this? are you fooling around? and where
is your mom? "
I ran to him giving him a close warm hug. Tears had its way out through my brown eyes. I was scared, I had never been so terrified.
"Are you okay?", Vincent asked me as we pulled away from each other.
" Am totally not fine, I don't know where mom is. Mom has been acting strange ever since she came this evening, I can't seem to comprehend anything , not even her", I quavered.
He saw me off to my room putting his arm around my shoulders.
"Good night".
"Good night, thank you", I replied.

Having entered my room. I saw my window broadly opened. I trudged towards my window as I looked around my room in fear, only for me to see a paper on my window sill folded as though it has been put there by someone. I took the paper.
I looked around the window, there I saw a man, wearing a black hoodie covering his face completely, running towards ferry street {a fictional street}. I constantly kept peeping till I lost sight of him.
I opened the paper, written on it was a phone
number, second Bumat street, off Manhattan dob ferry, come to the given address at 4:30pm to find out...
" To find out what?" I said while reading it.
I became more inquisitive as to why the paper was here and what secrete i needed to find out.
"Who was that hooded man? Did he keep this paper here?".
It was all round of rhetorical speculations.  I kept the paper under my chef, then I made my way to my bed. I couldn't sleep, I was trepidation written.