CHAPTER 8

It was already 11:45pm.
"Mom", I yelled while banging on her door.
"Momm, open up or I will break the door".
NO RESPONSE
"Jadah, go to bed, its late, I will handle this", dad said to me.
"Dad to be completely honest, ever since you came into our lives, things has gone from bad to worse. You can't handle this dad".
" Jadah don't be stubborn, go to bed".
I ignored him.
I pushed the door with force but was to no avail. "Oh, am so dumb. I had locked the room
myself before I left for the hospital".
I put my hands in my pocket as I brought out
the key. I carefully put the key in its locker and I twisted it left 2 times, then the door opened. We both walked in Moms' room only to see that the room was in a total mess. The room was tattered with clothes, jewelries and snacks.
" Are this not the things mom has been stealing?". I walked further inside the room, only to
see drugs on the floor, plethora of drugs scattered on the floor.
"Your mom is actually a thief", dad said to me.
"No, your wife".
"But where is mom?"
I walked towards her bathroom to check, as I opened the door, I saw her lying in the bathtub with an ear piece in an ear.
"Mom", I said.
she stood up from the bathtub removing the earpiece from her ears. It seemed like she had been sobbing.
We both walked out of the bathroom.
"Mom, what is all this?", I asked.
"I don't know Jadah, I swear", mom replied as she began to shed tears.
"Oh mom, save those bogus tears for the court, this are the things you have been stealing right?". "Honey, convince Jadah that I am not a thief", mom said as she looked towards dad.
" How much lies can you tell? when the media already knows who you are, have you no shame? okay, the tape the whole world watched isn't you? huh? answer me", dad yelled at mom.
" Me on a tape, how come? why this lie, I haven't stolen anything please believe me", mom said
shedding tears.
"So, tell us about the things in your room, who brought them here, you are the one that has been doing the series of stealing. No wonder, when
I told you about the burglary and killing at the ABC shopping mall, you were shocked and couldn't give a reply", I said.
"Talking about who brought these stuffs here and who scattered my room, I have no idea, I didn't do all these things. While I was sobbing in my room I heard a slight noise in my bathroom, I decided
to go check it out, as soon as I entered my bathroom, I heard footsteps in my room, at that moment I was scared. Before I could come out from my bathroom,
the door was already jammed. It was jammed by someone, I could barely see the face of the person, it was a woman cause the perfume I was perceiving was the feminine type of one. I knocked seriously on the door but was to no avail, I shouted, I yelled but was to a debacle. Before I knew it, I started hearing noises in my room, it was as though the person was destroying my properties and bringing
things outside through the window and dumping them in my room. I couldn't come out of the bathroom as it was locked, what could I have done. So please, stop saying am a thief, these things aren't for me.
"What a nice plot mom, your window isn't even opened and the bathroom door wasn't closed, if it was, how did I open it. Mom! you can save all those lies for the court, but mom, why did you have to kill?".
" I didn't kill anyone Jadah, what is this, have you lost it".
"No mom, you are the one who has totally lost it, your lies are abysmal and your pretentious skills are stellar, you should save all of that for the judge because you are definitely going to court".
Jadah, never in my widest of dreams did I see this
day coming, that one day my own daughter wouldn't trust me, the one who I gave life to, the one who I carried for 9 months, the one who I singe handedly raised, would one day call me a thief and a murderer. God why are you doing this to me? God why?. Jadah I want you to ask your heart this question, is my
mom capable of stealing and murdering people. Why will I steal when I have the money to get what I want, have you ever gone hungry? have you ever asked for something and I didn't give it to you, no matter how expensive it is, so what is it that I can't afford that I would have to go about stealing petty things", mom said as she shed tears.
I was definitely moved by her words; I too can't believe mom was capable of killing or stealing. But the CCTV on the news has it that she
is the one, and every action of her both in the past and now indicates that she is the one, she comes home very late, especially after the crime has already taken place.
"Mom, the truth is that you have a disorder, yes! it doesn't matter if you can afford it or not. If you can't afford it, it would have been another thing entirely. But here, you can afford it but you still steal, that is to say, you have a disorder, you have kleptomania mom!", I said.
"The police would definitely be here tomorrow to pick you up, if I where you I would be on the run", dad said to mom.
"No, I can't run, because, I did nothing, I am innocent, am neither a thief nor a killer. This is a huge conspiracy against me.
"It's a pity", dad said.
"Jadah, go to bed, its late already", dad said as he walked out of mom's room.
As I turned my back and was about to leaving moms room, she called me.
"Jadah, if anything you are the only one that can help me, ask your heart what I had told you and
wait for a response. Please support me, please, I beg you, I don't want to be punished for what I know nothing about, please my child, help me", mom said to me solemnly .
" Mom! I don't know but I feel you are innocent, but you are not. I think it is just intrinsic in every child to feel that way about their parents, especially the ones they love the most, if truly you are not the one which you are, I pray GOD see you true".
"Amen", mom replied.
"How is Vincent?", mom asked me.
As soon as she asked me that question, I had a purgation of uncontrollable tears, I didn't respond to her, I exited the room in abject melancholy.