Chapter 38 - Dar'yaim III

Mando'a used in this chapter:

"ner kar'ta" = "my heart"

"Ni kar'tayl gar darasuum" = "I love you", or literally; "I will know you forever"

"gedet'ye" = "please"

"Useless clone!" the smack that flew across Captain Rex's face was not as strong as he had anticipated. Rex flinched either way, making it seem like it had hurt much more so that the vile warden –Osi Sobeck– might mistake him to be more exhausted. But the Captain was wrong in that, maybe even a fool to believe so as Sobeck had many, many years of experience, "Don't pretend clone, I barely touched you".

His wide feet paced back and forth in front of the clone Captain as he mumbled in aggravation. The clone was infuriatingly persistent in his defiance. Rex could almost hear the Phindian grind his teeth to a fine pulver. It made the Captain smirk, lip stinging from a hit to the face earlier.

"Warden Sobeck?" a strat-droid called out from the now open door.

The warden halted in his step and clenched his fists with a growl, "What is it?" he turned menacingly to the oblivious droid that was not programmed to pick up on sentient creatures' emotions.

"Count Dooku demands to speak to you," the droid didn't even wait for an answer as it simply turned and left. That way, Sobeck didn't get the chance to deny the calling even if he wanted to. He grumbled and cursed in a foreign language.

"Seems like you're lucky, clone," spitting out the name, Osi Sobeck gave a hard kick to the Captain's stomach before marching out after the damned droid.

As the door locked with a muffled click, the Captain coughed up some blood on the floor and hissed at the newly added pain. The armour took most of the hit, but the Phindian race were known for strong legs, much like the Dug species are known for their strong arms. Slowly the Captain pushed himself up against the wall into a slouched sitting, legs stretched out to relieve some pain from his abdomend. His breaths were heaving, lungs aching from what seemed to be a broken rib, and his right cheek felt warm from the swelling after being punched; multiple times. Leaning his head back carefully against the wall, he closed his eyes and revelled in the fact that from what he knew, the rest of the group was safe for now. He was glad that he had been the one to be taken, then he could keep the warden busy and distracted. Hopefully that would be enough for everyone to get out. He didn't care for himself, he had been captured; that was evidence enough that he wasn't getting out of here. Any regular-born creature might have been scared for their life, or at least trying to come up with an escape plan. But not Captain Rex. He was calm as the silence over an untouched lake. He was steady in his mind, more determined than any meteorite on a collision course. Death didn't scare him, as long as the others got out to safety, he was willing to die a thousand times over. Not because that was what he had been bred to do, but because it was his duty as Captain. It was his duty as a brother. As a friend. And as a lover.

His eyes were staring at the ceiling above him, but that wasn't what he saw. He saw (Y/N). Her beautiful eyes that would steady him in the toughest of storms. Her lips that would grow into an enchanting smile whenever she saw him. Her hair that always looked so soft as the light caressed it. He saw her. His love. And he smiled sadly to himself, tears pricking in the corner of his eyes, "I'm sorry, ner kar'ta... I know I promised that we would all make it out of here. But this is for the best.

Ni kar'tayl gar darasuum".

~

"This way," I followed Echo who used his heat signature visor to track down the prototype droid. After losing its head, it had started to spill hydraulic fluid as a trail when it escaped. Because of the slim model with lanky arms, the fluid had to stay warm to properly give it the strength that it needed to, well, crush somebody's head. You can imagine my relief when Echo accidentally switched his helmet visor to heat signature and found the trail not long after we split up. Luck seemed to have found us in this dark place. I hoped and prayed that it would shine on Rex too. If I lost him, I– I don't know what I would do. How would I move on? Running faster after Echo through the winding corridors, I felt lost. They all looked the exact same way and the halls were all windowless, making it impossible to get any sort of direction of where you were. Rex, where are you my love?