Chapter 49 - Jorso'ran aaray

"Jorso'ran aaray" = "Shall bear the pain"

The tight shirt seemed to squeeze against my skin harder and harder, not letting me breathe. I fiddled with the laces on my boots, still keeping up the image of being bored inside a bare cell.

What if he's right? Maybe there is another way... No! Don't be silly. Would you really risk everything and leave the boys in the 501st for this? Would you leave Rex for this?

Picking up a small piece of rubble next to me I rolled in between my thumb and longfinger. Pushing the rough edge down into the pad on my thumb, I felt a sharp sting of pain and watched as the deep red seeped out. Only a drop of it fell onto the floor, mixing in with the dust that instantly adhered to it.

Rex would die for the Republic, so would the others. There's no way. Unless... If there is a way that I could somehow convince or show him that it's corrupted, then he might go with me. No, no, no! What am I thinking?! I can't turn my back on them like this!

Sighing I wiped the blood on my dark shirt and hooked a finger through the neck ring of it, slightly holding it outwards to lessen the restricting feeling. Funnily enough, this was one of my favourite shirts I had had forever. It was the old reliable that was always the one to go for when in doubt. Yet now it was turning against me, slithering around me as a snake strangling its prey before devouring it fully.

Why? I've never felt home in the Republic. But now it's different. What Grievous– what Qymaen said, was true but he's done so much murdering. Then again, there's nothing that says you have to go with him. There is another.

"What did he say to you?"

Sighing I simply shrugged, "Not much useful, only the typical stuff about joining him to fight the Republic."

There was a pause.

"What did you say?"

Surprised, I looked up at her, seeing her calm demeanour look back at me. Studying her for a second I raised an eyebrow, "Are... are you serious? I would never join him, Ahsoka."

Her calm look soured into a bitter one with disappointment as she nodded down to my hands, "Then why are you not wearing your handcuffs?"

She has a point. I stood up and walked over to her. She pushed off from her leaning position against the wall to meet me. Staring me head on as she was now the same height as me, I balled my fist to remain calm, this was definitely not the time to get over-reactive.

"Look, he tried to convince me to join him by claiming that both the Jedi and Republic are corrupted. During his monologue he clipped the handcuffs off and when I denied his offer, he didn't bother to put them back on. Why? I don't know. I am equally as confused as you in this."

Ahsoka carefully observed my eyes for any tell of lies. But of course she wouldn't find none as I was –for once– telling the truth.

She hummed and tried to turn away from the conversation, but I didn't quite trust that 'hum'.

I grabbed her arm to stop her, my voice treading carefully as I couldn't grasp the thought of ever finding myself having to ask this question to her, "Ahsoka... you believe me, right?"

She looked over her shoulder, not saying anything.

"Ka'ra, you know I would never leave you, Anakin, Rex or any of the other boys... don't you?"