Phase 3: Chapter 59

Paige Merridew was a sitting duck; a collection of anxiety, worry, and confliction. She wondered if she really did the right thing, if she might grow to regret the decision she made on instinct, without having the luxury of time to think it through. Everything was about to change. She wondered what would happen to Jack once he was removed from the house, what would happen to her now that her father knew she made the call that forced him to bring Jack to the hospital.

She had rushed back to the hospital the very moment after hanging up the call she had with Ralph and then his mother. It was a relief to have the Langleys here now; the much needed presence of good people who were on her's and Jack's side. Ralph was still back in Jack's post-surgical recovery room with him. Paige now sat next to his parents, watching the sliding doors of the emergency room at Anne Shaw Children's Institute, awaiting the dreadful moment her father would return. He'd give her the food he bought her, then leave her with the Langleys while he went to give Jack his. Then he'd be back. And eventually, he'd get Paige alone for the first time since she told him about the call last night, and she'll have no choice but to answer for what she did.

"Are you ready to talk to social services once they show up?" Laurie gently asked her.

"I have to be" she turned to look at the worried woman beside her, "for Jack."

Laurie smiled sympathetically at her, reaching over to place a comforting hand over the girl's.

All that comfort left Paige's body in an instant when her father came through the door with two large fast food bags in hand. She nervously swallowed all the saliva in her mouth as Laurie released her hand. Paige stood up when her dad approached, and the Langley parents stood up behind her seconds later.

"Here's ours" Evan said in a low voice, handing Paige one of the two bags. "I don't believe we've met" the man turned to address Ralph's parents. "Evan Merridew" he said, stretching his hand out shake Laurie's and then Jeffrey's.

"Jeffery Langley" he shook the man's hand, "and this is my wife, Laurie. We're Ralph's parents."

"Of course" Evan smiled lazily as he retreated his hand. "Ralph's a good kid" he added plainly.

"Most of the time" Jeffery halfheartedly joked. "Ralph's back there with Jack now. I can go take that to them if you'd like" Jeffery offered.

"Sure, that'd be great" Evan handed the warm bag to Jeffery. "Room 213 just at the end of that hallway."

"Knock knock" Jeffery said as he poked his head into Jack's room. He found Ralph sitting on the edge of Jack's bed, his back to the door. He his head turned to catch a glimpse of his father.

"Hey Mr. Langley" Jack waved with his uninjured left hand. "What's good?"

"The food, I hope" he smiled at Jack as he approached the bed. He gave the bag to Ralph to avoid the risk of accidentally causing Jack any further pain.

"Thanks" Jack smiled weakly. "My dad get it?" he asked to confirm.

"I told 'im I'd bring it in to ya" Jeffery assured him. "Have they told you when the guys from social services might be stopping by?"

"They already did" Ralph quickly turned around to face his father now. "Before we got here."

"Oh, really?" Jeffery sounded confused and surprised. "Paige hasn't said anyth—"

"Because she doesn't know" Ralph cut him off to say. "They're gone. They have her statement on the phone  when she called yesterday and everything else they have came from Jack and Evan."

"Oh" Jeffery awkwardly dragged out the word. He was listening to Ralph but kept his eyes on Jack. The blond boy was looking down at the rubik's cube in his hands. He looked tense, ashamed perhaps. "Paige doesn't know that they've already been here and talked to Jack and Evan?" he sought to clarify.