Phase 3: Chapter 60

Had Jack Merridew even a single additional sympathetic cell in his body, he would've spent the entire following night thinking about what might've happened between his sister and father once they were alone in that massive, hollow house after he and the Langleys left Dalton for East Point.

Although, thinking about his treacherously complicated family would've been something of a challenge with Ralph sitting right beside him; the younger boy's arm linked around Jack's good arm as they all sat around the ottoman in the Langley's living room. The boys and Ralph's parents spent half the evening playing card and board games, laughing and talking about simple things; things Jack's family hadn't the emotional capacity to talk about with one another if they even cared at all. It was school, the boys' relationship, Laurie's grocery list, Jeffery's irritating co-workers, where they'd all choose to go on vacation if they could choose anyplace in the world, which fast food restaurant made the best french fries, what each of their dream car might be, which films had half decent sequels. It was the little things, the stupid little things that Jack's family were too busy screaming at each other, or busy doing their own thing, to ever talk about with each other.

Earlier that day, Jack was discharged from Anne Shaw Children's Institute. His dad had come into his recovery room to give him the good news, and Ralph was sent back to the waiting room while the doctor returned to give Jack and his father the step-by-step care instructions for the boy's home recovery care. He'd have to come back to the hospital to get the stitches out of his head in about five days, the Merridews were informed.

"Would it need to be this hospital specifically?" Evan had asked, earning an odd stare from Jack who was wondering why wouldn't it be this hospital.

"Not necessarily" Dr. Watkins determined. "It would be simplest if you could bring him back here, but any hospital will have medical personnel capable of removing stitches. You might run into some obstacles paperwork wise if you attempt to do it outside of Georgia though, as obtaining copies of Jack's records may cause some delays out of state. You guys got a trip planned?"

"Something like that" Evan vaguely shrugged in an effort to dismiss the topic. "We shouldn't be leaving Georgia before the stitches oughta come out though."

"All's well then" Dr. Watkins smiled as he handed the printed care instructions package to Evan. "It's all there. Everything you'll need to know about caring for the healing dislocations and a little section on caring for fresh stitches as well."

"Thank you, doc. You've been a great help" Evan nodded to him graciously.

"You guys have a nice trip" he replied before taking the clipboard with Jack's information with him as he left back down the hallway.

"Where are we going?" Jack finally asked once they were alone again.

"You're gonna stay with Ralph's family for a bit" Evan informed him, a blank and unreadable expression on his face.

"Do I have to?" Jack asked as a confusing mix of emotions began to fester within him.

"You do" Evan dismissively insisted, "clean up this room, get your shit out so they can make it up for the next person" he added before Jack could get in another word, leaving him to attend to the private room by himself.

Jack sighed heavily, staring aimlessly around the room he spent the night in as he tried to gather his disorganized thoughts. He didn't know why he even questioned the chance to go stay with Ralph for more than a night or two. That hadn't happened since before they returned to school a week and a half ago now. What was going to happen with school if Jack was to be away for more than a day or two? He was a sophomore now, and missing more than a few days would have dire consequences for his grades, as his father should've known.