Phase 3: Chapter 69

Ralph's own voice was hoarse, scratchy and borderline incomprehensible. He stared at the seemingly ghost-like figure of Jack standing in the doorway of his and Simon's old door room, as he waited for Jack to answer him.

Ralph was suddenly hit with a sudden glimpse into a past memory; his first night here at the academy several years ago. He was in fifth grade, ten years old, just another, ordinary kid starting his first year of military school. His eyes found Jack standing in this very doorway, like he was now, but back then Roger was in tow behind him, and Simon on the other side of their room.

"First time away from home?" eleven-year-old Jack had asked Ralph.

"Uh, yeah. That obvious?"

"You got that nervous jittery look in your eyes. You ever sleep over at a friend's before?"

"Sure, a couple times."

"Well, this is nothing like that. If you wake up crying in the middle of the night, don't open your eyes long enough to adjust to the light. Makes it impossible for your brain to fully register where you are and you'll minimize some of that homesick shit."

"Jack?"

"Uh huh?"

"Where'd you get that advice from?"

"Experience."

Ralph kept his eyes on Jack in the doorway now. He was taller than he had been that night, but otherwise he pretty much looked the same, injuries aside.

"I said the word" Jack finally answered as he let himself into the room. He slowly sat down beside Ralph, careful with his leg in the brace.

"What?" Ralph blurted, his knees to his chest, his voice croaky from harsh crying.

"You said that if there was any part of me that thought we should stay together, that I should say so. And I did, maybe an hour after you left. So here we are" Jack placed his good hand comfortingly on Ralph's shaky knee.

"But you were so sure you didn't want to come" Ralph pondered, "what changed your mind?"

"Nothing" Jack said plainly. "But being here for you is more important than missing a commemoration."

Ralph let out a heavy, relieved sigh as he scooted over a little closer to Jack before dropping his head onto the blond boy's uninjured shoulder. Jack brought his hand up behind Ralph and gently stroked through the boy's sweaty hair. They sat like that, in heavy silence, for several minutes before Ralph realized that the ceremony was probably starting and his father would be looking for him.

"Your mom's with 'im, she said she'd tell him I was going to get you" Jack assured him. "But you're right, we should get down there."

"Are you sure you want to go in? You can just wait outside the assembly hall, or I'm sure you'll find some way to occupy yourself" Ralph suggested, "just because you're here doesn't mean you have to attend the ceremony."

"I came here to support you, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't come all this way to sit outside" Jack assured Ralph with a telling confidence.

"Okay" Ralph said as he stood to his feet, Jack following suit seconds after. "Then let's do this."

By the time Ralph and Jack got back downstairs, there were only a few people in the lineup waiting for to get seat tickets. The two boys approached the assembly hall doors and locked eyes with one another before Jack pushed the left door open, making way for them to join the ceremony.

"What row are you guys?" Ralph whispered very quietly to Jack as they walked in behind the last row.

"Row 52, C and D" Jack whispered back, "but it doesn't matter. Your mom's sitting in your seat anyway" he informed the brunette. "Let's just sit here" he added as they came to a mostly empty row of seats in the second last row; Row 64.