Prologue (III)

7 years later

2 vampires were sitting on a park bench in the evening, the ravenet in traditional Japanese robes wrapping an arm around the shoulders of the green-haired guy in school uniform.

"My my Sa-kun~" the ravenet sang. "You were really mean to that human ya know~"

The green-haired vampire huffed.

"Wanna tell me what happened?"

"Shove off Tsubaki."

The ravenet Tsubaki frowned. He didn't like seeing his companion so seriously upset... could his conpanion really not tell that...?

"Sakuya."

The green-haired vampire started.

"I'm serious you know," Tsubaki continued. "You aren't normally violent. Did he do something? Do I need to stab him for you-"

"No!! No," Sakuya repeated calmer. "You saw me apologize. I didn't mean to slap him I just... lost it."

"And why did you lose it? You don't normslly lose it so easily so tell me- what did that human do?"

Tsubaki had been expecting any number of bad things to come out of Sakuya's mouth, but all the subclass muttered was, "Nothing bad... he was just trying to talk to me... invite me to hang out with his friends..."

...well that was just confusing.

"And... why was that... why did that anger you?" Tsubaki asked.

Sakuya shrugged.

Tsubaki sighed and advised, "Well... frankly Sakuya I don't see the harm in taking him up on the offer."

Sakuya started. He stared for some minutes before asking, "What...?"

"It might help if you get out more," Tsubaki explained. "I know we're Melancholy but... I don't know, I just think you might be happier if you distract yourself sometimes instead of doing what Sloth Nii-san does- as in mope around all the time. Maybe a night out with some humans unrelated to us will distract you for a night."

"...you don't understand."

"What do you mean?" Tsubaki asked. "It sounds really straightforward- a human invited you to hang out with his friends. You used to like doing stuff like that, pretending to be a normal student and making accquaintances. What's different about this?"

Sakuya mumbled sonething under his breath and put his head on his knees.

"Sakuya?"

"It... hurts to be around him," Sakuya muttered reluctantly. "I guess... that's why I slapped him."

"I don't get it," Tsubaki admitted, shifting in his seat. "Why does it hurt?"

"He's just... so much like him."

"Who?"

"DON'T MAKE ME SAY HIS NAME!!"

Tsubaki flinched. There were only 2 people on Earth who could provoke that reaction from Sakuya.

...well. Used to be.

And only one of those was male.

"Sorry," Sakuya mumbled. He buried his face in his hands and took an audible shuddering breath. "I'm sorry Tsubaki I know it's not your fault I just... I'm fucking useless."

"You're not useless Sakuya."

Sakuya shook his head.

"...it's okay to cry if you need to. I... understand."