Sloth's Awakening

A/N: Surprise! Double update!

Also pls don't kill me lol-

~○●○~

Shirota Mahiru was no stranger to waking up with a headache and no idea how much tine had passed.

...this was a bit more painful than usual though.

"Jeez..." Mahiru muttered. "What the hell did we do this time...?"

He looked around and frowned.

His apartment looked... slightly off. He couldn't pinpoint why- it was like those pranks where everything was moved 2 inches left or something. There were things he didn't recognize like the phone on the bedside table, but it was close enough to his room that he dismissed it.

The only light blue thing in the room caught his eye.

Kuro was sitting on the floor in the corner, eyes shut and leaning against the wall as if asleep.

...that's weird.

Usually Kuro was closer than that. Usually Kuro would sit by his side either curled up in cat form or sitting on the chair next to him.

"H- hey. Kuro?"

The sloth servamp opened his eyes. "Ah," he remarked. "You're awake Masaaki. How are you feeling?"

That was even weirder.

Even though Kuro was always monotone Mahiru'd be able to tell what he was feeling through the contract. Usually it was simple relief not this... weird grudging mix of... Mahiru didn't even know. And...

Masaaki?

Mahiru stared at Kuro for a long time.

"What- Kuro." Mahiru gathered himself and continued sternly, "Kuro don't mess with me you dumb cat it's me Shirota Mahiru. Your eve?"

It was Kuro's turn to stare.

"...hello? Kuro?"

Kuro huffed. He muttered angrily, "You damn pain... you're lucky you're hurt or I'd rip you to shreds."

"...what?"

"I told you about him because I felt bad about calling you the wrong name," Kuro snarled. "No matter how much like him you are you do not get to pretend to be him."

H- huh?! "Pretend?! Kuro I-"

"You cannot become him no matter how damn similar you are to him!" Kuro snapped. "I know I've been horrible to you but- just yell back and leave his memory alone! You cannot fucking replace him! You never will! There will never be anyone like him... do you understand...?!"

"I DON'T!! Kuro what the hell are you going on about?! Who is this- I am your eve you dumb cat?! I was the one who picked you up, who gave you that bell and named you Kuro-"

"Of course I know you did all that...! You know damn well I'm talking about the first person to do all that- Mahiru! You're not him and you-"

"KURO STOP IT- WHAT'S GOTTEN INTO YOU?! I'M NOT PRETENDING TO BE ANYONE I AM MAHIRU-"

"SHUT UP! SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU TROUBLESOME BASTARD!!"

Mahiru yelped as Kuro suddenly lunged at him with his claws. He ducked and scrambled off the bed, landing on his knees next to it. He summoned his spear but he was determined to only block not fight. This was his partner after all...

He'd die before he hurt Kuro.

"KURO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! I'M NOT YOUR ENEMY YOU DUMB CAT I'M YOUR PARTNER!"