Chapter 2

memento mori

     "Who are you?"

     Nikolai walked forward in front of me. When suddenly Grandma appeared at the entrance.

     "Nikolai, Romia. How's the delivery?"

     Grandma said while holding a tray, she smiled and walked towards the tea blender. My head bends at my side in confusion.

     "Oh, this is Lord Ludovic's butler, Jasper. You should meet them in the living room. Now, now...Romia, would you mind assisting me with the teas?"

     I gulped. The Lord is here!?

     I nodded but still not moving on my spot.

     Her forehead furrowed.

     "Everything okay my dear?" she stopped.

     I kept my gaze fixed on the man. He looks familiar, but I'm sure we've never met before. He raised his cup while smiling at me. I blinked as grandma called my name again.

     "Romia?"

     Nikolai turned his head in my direction without looking. I inhaled deeply and pushed myself toward Grandma. I can feel his eyes watching me.

     "Of course," I answered.

     "What a lovely aroma. Lavender and mint..."  

     I heard Jasper's voice as I arranged the cups on the tray.

     "Ah, yes. Good for digestion and reduces stress,"

     "Ah, must add this to my list,"

     "Nikolai, can you get the biscuits?"

     "Oh, let me help you with that," Jasper offered to grandma.

     I'm unable to look. While this strange feeling persisted in my mind, I tried concentrating on making the teas. I tried to clear my mind. Grandma led us to the living room after we had finished preparing everything.

     I walked slowly, scanning the room. I first noticed a fancy carriage outside the window before my eyes slowly lie at these two men sitting on the couch. Both have blonde hair, but the older one has this long white hair. Their heads turned to face us. The man smiled and fiddled with his cane.

     "Ah, this must be your grandchildren - I must say?"

    My eyes immediately locked with whom I believe to be Lord Ludovic. He raised one eyebrow with a smile plastered on his face.  His long hair rested at his back perfectly.

     "And, this must be, Romia,"

     My eyes switched to the guy next to him. He watches me as I set the teas on the table. I looked away and gulped the lamp on my throat.