Chapter 7

carriage

I'm breathing heavily as soon as I set foot in the house.

"What happened? Are you okay? Where's Nikolai?"

Grandma asked while glancing outside.

I placed the basket on the table and touched my stomach. My eyes begin to feel watery.

"He's-"

I can't seem to put words so I just headed towards the stairs. I gulped.

"Romia?"

I ran upstairs and went to the room, swiftly closing the door behind me as I entered. I didn't notice my hand was shaking. The room was dark, with the only light coming from the window outside. I can hear the start of rain.

What was that about?

Something strange just happened...

And how come they know each other?

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. I immediately felt his presence I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath. I tried to hold my tears. I slowly placed my hand on the doorknob and gently pulled it.

Our eyes immediately locked with each other. My chest heavied, I slowly stepped back. He walked towards me shutting and locking the door behind him.

"Were you hurt?"

He asked with his eyebrows met. He tried to reach for me.

"Did he hurt you?"

He places his hands on my cheek — examining me. I closed my eyes as I felt the coldness of his palm, a tear escaped from my eye.

"No," I mumbled and looked away.

"Did he do something?" 

He tried to catch my eyes. I shake my head. 

But at the moment when I was there, I felt the fear in the exact moment I felt when I saw those bodies.

"I don't. Understand."

I took a courage to look deep into his eyes. There was worry and anger on his face.

"And you won't let me understand,"

I said as I slowly pulled his hand away placing it down. His expression softened.

"I want to,"

He looked at the window, he walked towards it to shut the curtains. The light weakend. But I still can see his silhouette.

I hugged myself. Feeling the coldness of my skin.

"Then tell me now,"

I sniff.

He shook his head before slowly heading back to me. I can better see his features from the vivid light. His jaw tightened as his hands lingered through my elbow. His eyes and fingers trails beneath my arm. I felt the chills trailing down my body.

"I can't,"

My forehead creased.

"Why?"

I said like it's almost a whisper.

"What's holding you back from telling me the truth? Because none of this is right, there's something odd about it. Even from that man. How do you know each other? He even said I look familiar to him,"

I shake my head.

"I don't even know what's the truth anymore, Nikolai. I don't know what's happening to me,"

He looked at me with a crease in his forehead. He held my arm as he stepped closer. I stepped back. He took a deep breath.

"I just don't want any of this to fade,"

My head throbs in confusion.

"I don't want you to disappear just because of the truth,"

He answered with his raspy voice, breathing out. He stepped closer again. His throat moved. His eyes linger back to me.

"So I've been living with lies,"

I said. Feeling a sting in my heart.

"That's not what I intend to do,"

"Then talk to me, say something,"

He blinked and stared at me for a minute. I can hear the thunder and the rustle of the rain outside.

"I concealed the truths from you so that I can protect you and kept you away from danger,"

"I don't intend to hurt you. Because the damned hell knows I will do anything for you. To keep you safe. To keep you near me. I don't want you to disappear again."

His hand travel down my waist, his other hand went to my neck. He slowly lowered his face and put his forehead against me. War battled in my stomach once again. I close my eyes.

"Forgive me if this is making you difficult, but I want you to trust me. Let me protect you until my last breath."

I felt his lips on my forehead, I placed my hand on his, palming my neck. His thumb making some trails beneath my jaw. A liquid travel down through my cheek. My breath hitched.

"I can't put anything in words for you right now, because time will tell — it will reveal everything back to you,"

I opened my eyes when he removed himself from the touch. His hand traveled to my cheek and his thumb wipe the tears out. He's looking at me with a strange sadness in his eyes.

He studied every feature in my face like it's the first time he lay eyes on me.

"But I wish, this will return something from you,"

His eyes darted at my lips.

"I want you to remember-"

He slowly lowered his face.

"Everything."

My chest begin to rise and fall as I felt my heartbeat gone wild.

My eyes rounded as I felt his lips at the corner of my mouth. I held his arm as I close my eyes.

He let go but still close to me.

"But I hate that the truth will be the reason for you to run away from me. I can't stand that thought, Romia. That the truth will make you hate me,"

I stared at his eyes while trying to catch my breath. Why would I hate him?

"Do I even belong here?"

I said, realizing something.

He's about to say something when a loud noise came crushing outside. A sound of horse blaring with the noise of thunder and rain.

"What was that?" I uttered.

I walked towards the window while still holding his hand. I moved the curtain to reveal a carriage at the gate. Nikolai moved closer to me and peeked at the window.

I narrowed my eyes when a man came out running through the door. He banged at the door twice before screaming Grandma's name.

"Lady Fleur! Open the door! Pls!"

I glanced at Nikolai.

The carriage seems familiar.

"It's the Lord's,"

He gazed at me. I took his hand to leave the room and headed downstairs.