Chapter 6

stranger

While washing the vegetables in the sink, I kept hesitating to reflect on last night. I breathed and went on to fetch the wood and knife. I picked up the veggies and started to cut.

Somehow last night feels like a dream. Because everything went back to normal, except that Nikolai kept ignoring me.

This morning has been odd recently. My headaches had subsided, but everything appeared to be too clear, the sunlight was too bright even inside the house, and it was somehow too loud. It has never gone like that before. Or perhaps Grandma is right; I am recovering.

I gazed in front of me at the window. The gloomy sky still travels to this town, after the storm countless heavy rains at night occurred. The trees dance win the breeze, and I sigh.

The corpses were assumed to be murdered, according to the town's chiefs; it could not have been an accident. They buried them in the cemetery and kept seeking the killer. Many people assume that it was the man who lived at the end of the forest. 

Because there have been a few allegations of the man being hostile and harmful to the hunters. However, without proof, they cannot take him.

I tried not to think about it. The horror that had been glimpsed by my eyes cannot contain the sorrow and pain it cause to my heart. I just hope it won't happen again.

I felt Grandma's presence, I heard the oven had been lifted down. I can hear the smoke emerging from it.

"Is the carrots done, my dear?"

I faced her and nods.

"Here," 

I said before putting the knife down and collected the carrots that I have been cut into cubes and put it in  a small bowl. I walked straight to Grandma to gave it to her.

She placed the tray on the table before closing the oven. She take off the gloves and took the bowl from me.

"You can taste it. Though, it's still hot so be careful,"

Grandma point out at the pie, I gazed at it. It's a blue berry pie. I tapped my finger on the table, I pursed my lips.

I feel like throwing up while looking at it and I don't know why. My forehead creased, maybe I'm just not hungry for now.

"Uhm, it's ok I'm not hungry yet, let's just wait until it cools off,"

I grabbed the gloves Grandma had set on the table and took the pie. I approached the window to place the pie. I went back to work and chopped the remaining vegetables. 

"I already collected yours and Nikolai's remaining clothes, it's in that basket,"

I looked at the basket near the stairs.

"I'll wash them. Where can I get the soap?"

"Don't worry I already put it in there,"

I nodded while cutting the potatoes.

"Just make sure to not use too much of it, it's a bit strong,"

I looked up when I suddenly sense something. Nikolai emerged from the woods holding a basket.

I hissed when I accidently cut my self. I immediately dropped the knife and held my hand.