Chapter 3

death

          I slowly pulled out my blanket as I let my feet touch the cold floor. I stare at the curtain for a moment wondering how and what it got there. A stain of blood...I breathed in and out as a chill ran down my spine. My hands were shaking while I tried to lift myself.

          The curtain glides with the wind. I placed my hand on my mouth as I saw some blood marks on the side of the window. I immediately looked at my shoulder as I heard a rustle.

          "Nikolai," I whispered.

          His covered by his blanket like a cocoon. He turned to the other side.

          My eyebrow met.

          "Nikolai?"

         I whispered again. I was afraid to glance back at the window. Even my feet were frozen at the sight, so I stepped in his direction. My breath hitched as I tried to calm down. I could still see the blood from the side of my eye so I closed them.

          "Nikolai," I whispered again.

         The soft mattress touches with my fingers. I opened my eyes. I was more confused as I felt him shaking. I gently kneeled and touched his shoulder.

          "What's wrong? Nikolai? Can you hear me?"

          Instead of shaking him, I caressed his shoulder with my hand. I don't want to frighten him. My gaze rises from the window. I gulped at the sight of the bloodstain. For a brief moment, I was more worried about him. I tried to wake him up without making him startle.

         "Pls, Nikolai answer me,"

          I felt my chest heavied when words never came from him. He might be in a nightmare, he's struggling.

          "It's just a nightmare. You need to wake up. Nikolai, pls. I'm here,"

          I tried touching his head but he immediately grabbed my wrist making me jump. My eyes rounded.

          "Get out,"

          My breath became heavy.

          "What? W- What's wrong?"

          "I said. Get out!"

          I yelped as his other hand found my face. And the last thing I knew I was pinned to the wall. I shut my eyes as an ache lingered in my head. A trail of a tear escaped from my eye.

          I stepped back even more until my hands are flat on the wall beside me. My heart beats rapidly. I felt his breath on my neck. His grip on my face slowly loses. Something sharp pinching at my chin. My lips quivered.

          "Nikolai," I mumbled.

          There's something wrong. But I can't open my eyes. I want to know.

          He grunts. I can't feel the sharpness anymore. His breath trails to my jaw. I felt his soft lips on my jaw. His thumb touches my cheek. I felt it wiping out my tear.

          I let out a shaky breath trying to steady myself. I want to know what's on his mind. What's bothering him?

          His other hand trailed to my jaw where he left a trail of a kiss. I slowly opened my eyes. He was looking down. He shuts his eyes and faces me. He looked at me like he was confused.

          "You didn't mean it. Say that you didn't mean it," He whispered with his eyebrows met.

          His thumb caresses my cheek. My head furrowed making me more confused. I gulped the lump in my throat. I tried finding his eyes, when we met each other, I was asking questions.