10: WE HITCH A RIDE WITH DEAD CONFEDERATES

I'm already half done with this book, they're much shorter than I remember.

This is a really weird chapter title because they don't show up until the next chapter which really should have been this chapter title. If Clarisse is still supposed to be a surprise, then I think this should have been called Dugouts and Donuts or something, but that's just me.

PJOPJOPJO

Nico hesitated before he started. His stomach was snarling with hunger and he sort of wanted to stop this time not because the thought of Percy staring at him, having his undivided attention for a whole chapter still sort of set him on edge, but also because he wasn't entirely sure of what was coming or a few things he'd missed and wanted to ask Will.

Honestly he just sort of wanted to talk to him in general, which was something he so rarely indulged in around camp he wasn't even sure how to get that started.

He'd hesitated to long, and Jason asked in concern, "you good?"

While Will leaned over his shoulder to see the chapter title and read it for him, "need a pass on this one Nico?"

Like he actually thought the idea of the ghosts was freaking him out? Did he come across as that pathetic? Setting himself stubbornly and reading at an actually normal pace, he ignored them both and told himself to get a grip, stop stalling, and hurry up to get out of here.

"Percy, I never took you for a racist," but Jason looked more confused as he snarked.

Nico snorted without amusement. If Annabeth had Italian decent like him or been any other nationality, he doubted it would have made a difference.

"Is that going to be anything like riding with those Weird Sisters?" Magnus asked, he didn't need anymore eyeballs being thrown around thank you.

"Gray Sisters," Thalia corrected, not understanding why Alex and Magnus were smiling at each other for some inside joke, but moving on. "I doubt it, but I'd get your bingo cards ready for Percy walking into some kind of trap."

"Hey," he frowned but couldn't even find it in himself to protest he was probably due for one after escaping the luxury cruise liner.

...She was holding on to the boat straps for dear life, her hair flying straight up like a torch.

"I would pay to get a picture of that," Will snorted.

"It's really a shame you guys don't have a rollercoaster of doom or something at Camp Half-Orphans," Alex nodded. "Between the melodramatic horse and drunk guy running the place, I bet you can swing it."

"Don't forget the cannibal," Magnus grimaced. "He might agree if we tell him it's run by goblins eating anyone who falls out and no seatbelts."

"You two are putting way to much thought into something that's not going to happen," Will cut in still laughing at the pair like he hoped they were kidding. The worst part was, Tantalus might have agreed to their terms.

... Hermes's magical thermos without losing his grip on it or the boat.

"That cyclops is the real hero of this quest," Jason grinned.

"I swear you say that about everyone but me," Percy frowned at him even if he didn't disagree.

... "Hang on!" "I am hanging on!" Annabeth yelled.

"Not to the right person- err, thing," Thalia said saintly, it was better than turning green at the idea of falling from so high up.

... turning our downward plummet into a forty-five-degree crash landing.