14: WE MEET THE SHEEP OF DOOM

"Do they spend every night trying to take over the world?" Alex asked eagerly upon the new title.

"Pretty sure those would be rats of doom," Percy grinned.

"Oh so Percy could join in their-"

"I'm still sitting right here, not eating celery!" Percy switched to trying to lob a chunk of his own seaweed bag at him.

Alex laughed and raised the book so it struck that instead when he said, "I bet Grover wouldn't have even noticed the difference." Percy rolled his eyes while Alex began reading, as if he'd ever had to work before having all attention on him.

When you think "monster island," ... like the island of the Sirens.

"Plus lightning, and spooky evil laughter in the shadows," Will added.

"Annabeth would abandon us all if she saw a single spider web," Percy chuckled.

... SOMETHING EVIL LIVES HERE.

"Which would probably only attract more people who don't know an entrance from an exit," Thalia rolled her eyes.

...looked like a Caribbean postcard...."The Fleece," she said.

Jason let out a throaty whistle of appreciation while Magnus inhaled deeply like he was trying to get just a whiff of that nature magic now, his mom would have worshiped this thing. All he got was a light bit of something earthy, almost metallic, like wet clay or paint or both.

... "If we take it, will the island die?"

"Like pop out of existence?" Nico considered with an interested look on his face. "I didn't think it was that powerful."

...back to what it would be."

"I was more worried about that," Percy frowned. He'd never been much of a nature guy before, but Grover had made him wish the whole world could look like this slice of paradise his best friend was trapped away from.

... Tyson would still be with us if it wasn't for this quest.

Percy glanced guiltily about the room as he realized he had forgotten about Tyson for just a moment. Tyson had only come on this quest for him, he had to see it through.

..."We could just hike up there and take it?"

"Didn't Polyphemus mention a pet?" Jason reminded.

"Then he sheered a sheep, yeah, not big on details that guy," Percy grumbled.

... a deer emerged from the bushes.

They all sat there cringing and waiting for this to be some monster deer that would charge them down and spit fire too.

It trotted into the meadow looking for grass,

"Is it a regular deer?" Magnus asked tentatively. "How did that get on the island? Did the cyclops put it there too?"

"We have no idea," Thalia reminded, keeping the idea to herself it might have been a long lost companion of some satyr making the mistake this poor deer had just done.

... the deer was a pile of clean white bones.

Alex sat there for a moment with his mouth hanging open after describing that before saying, "I found the opposite of Thor's goats."

Which made no sense to anybody but him.

"What exactly did Bambi's mom do to the world to keep deserving this treatment?" Will sighed for the poor critters.