We're Not Charity Cases!

SHAWN SAT ON THE floor with Michelle, playing tea party with her

He was playing with her for two reasons. Reason one was because he loved his sister more than he loved himself, and would literally die for her, and the second reason was he was listening to his Dad's phone call.

"It's holiday times, and I've got two young kids." Chet was yelling into the phone. "You're really laying me off now? I have done nothing but work my ass of for this place, and you—"

Shawn did his best to drown him out. But his Dad's shouting got louder and louder with every sentence. Eventually, Shawn heard his Dad slam the phone down onto the receiver, and Shawn flinched so hard, he knocked into the rest of the tea set, knocking it over.

"Shoot," he mumbled, setting the tea set back up. "Shoot. Sorry, Michelle. I didn't mean too."

Michelle wasn't too effected, and instead just stared at her brother curiously.

Shawn's shaky hands held his small little purple cup, but he could still hear his Dad talking with his mom.

"Chet, the kids can hear you." Virna said.

But he didn't hear her, or didn't care, because he kept his voice loud and angry.

"I think it's time for bed," Shawn said, but Chet's voice was too loud, that it was keeping Michelle awake.

Eventually, the voices quieted, and Shawn let out a sigh of relief.

"Finally," he mumbled.

As soon as he got Michelle to bed, he tucked her into her crib. Once she was settled, and Shawn was sure she was asleep, he grabbed his coat, and slipped out of the trailer.

He took a walk from the trailers to the park, and sat there for nearly an hour.

Shawn was devastated about his Dad getting laid off. Not because he wouldn't get many presents, but because now, they would be in even more trouble. They could barely afford to eat as it was, but now, with Chet being laid off, Shawn figures he would be going to bed with an empty stomach more often.

Shawn considered getting a job, but who was going to hire an eleven year old? Especially a boy from the trailer park? No one with a brain.

As the Hunter boy sat on a swing, he rested his head on the chain.

"Gosh, could you be anymore pathetic?" He asked himself. "All you do is cry, and mope. You cry more then Michelle does, and she's one."

Shawn ran his fingers through his hair, evening out his breathing. He lifted his head up again, and gave a sigh.

"I hope Michelle didn't wake up." He mumbled, his face completely exhausted.

When he made it back to his trailer, he walked inside, and to his room, and let out a sigh of relief when he saw Michelle was still asleep.