3

CHAPTER 2 (part one)

First Friend and Kisses

The first time Remus Lupin and Anastasia Fox met was not what most would assume outside of their families. The two's close friends and others would make the conjecture the first encounter happened on the train to Hogwarts, where the four marauders first made contact or that they met on the same small boat transporting them to their new second home, or during the wait of the sorting ceremony for their names to be called upon, or the first feast they ever had under the night lit sky of the Great Hall, or maybe it was the first day of classes in their first year.

No, Anastasia and Remus were meant to  be and meeting somewhere so common, trivial, and predictable was not in the two's story.

The Lupin Cottage was five miles outside of Llangollen, Wales, a small town that stood on the river Dee. Remus was born and raised there and lived in it his whole life no matter how many times he tried to get away from the place he ended right back there. He lived a solitude life until he was eight never having any friends. Only boys he knew his age were ones he was forced to play with every Sunday when he and his mother went to church.

Hope Lupin had a plan when Remus was born before he was to be sent to the same school as her husband had attended in his youth; their son would be going to the only small primary school in town.  Of course that plan had been doomed a few weeks before Remus' fifth birthday.

The Lupins never worried about intruders, the only building close to them was an uninhabited home maybe a block down from theirs and animals were a rare sight besides the deer that would pass by from time to time. Remus had never locked a door or window until after that day most nights his window would be cracked open just the slightest due to him producing an unnatural amount of body heat.

The attack happened on a Thursday night in the four year old's bedroom decorated in Winnie the Pooh wallpaper. Fenir Greyback seeked revenge on Lyall Lupin, Remus's father who was very outspoken in the community of supporters for hating werewolves. Fenir never wanted to kill Remus no, he wanted to turn him into exactly what his father disgusted most.

After that night Remus was confined to the cottage and the talk of his first day of school he remembered his mother excitedly telling about stopped and when August of that year came around his homeschooling started with Hope being his sole teacher.

Lyall never looked at Remus the same. Before to Lyall, Remus was just his son, his boy but now he could no longer look at him as just that.  Lyall loved Remus greatly and he never stopped but a part of his love felt wrong so he would distance himself from Remus wanting the boy to resent him for the pain he accepted guilt for causing his son.