20

CHAPTER 13 (part one)A SIMPLE LIFE

A SIMPLE LIFE

The philosophy of a simple life. That was what Remus wanted. He had no dreams to become a famous poet, or some rich aristocrat, an elitist, or a noble business man. He craved the idea of marrying to become a hearty domestic sensualist.

He wanted a simple life of waking up reading the column about the latest invention and brief eulogies in his city's newspaper. He liked the idea of silence only known  to true lovers. Weekends spent in the company of friends and cheap wine, and Wednesdays at the market. Remus was intellectually promiscuous in his liberal beliefs but culturally conservative.

He valued the idea of living solely for his other and loved the concept to tend and support his partner. The strength of family, and to hold traditions was a must. He felt a young romantic stuck in modern times. He liked reading about simple proposals and marrying young in contrast to the new wave of people marrying past their midlife only to separate within a year's time. Monogamy seemed like a gracious oath he wanted to endure.

He remembered warm moments rather than grand achievements. He could recall natural times of laughter so strong you had to beg for it to stop, unable to catch air, rather to the instant satisfaction of a 100 on a test. So he remembered December 22nd well.

Lily, Remus, and Peter showed up that Thursday unaware of the events that happened days before. It was a surprise to see Sirius, Anastasia, and Euphemia in the kitchen, when the three Gryffindors timely entered through the grand fireplace.

Sirius looked boyish in one of James' fitted cap sleeve tops, Ana looked like an image of pure aesthetics. She wore a thin yellow apron decorated with vines, printed on violets, and embroidered with the words 'My favorite people call me mommy' (Sirius had teased her endlessly about it.)

James had ushered them in showing them to the house's second family room to place their bags. Along with the gifts underneath one of the five Christmas trees in the manor.

In the careless placing of their belongings, Lily had ventured away to her comfort of Ana.  Remus sent a questioning looking to James. He was brief in an explanation as to why Sirius was baking in his kitchen, he didn't know the full story, he wouldn't till many months later from a separate reliable source.

When the three entered through the way they came Anastasia was no longer wearing the motherly apron but now showing off her youthful curves with a warm brown corduroy skirt, a white long sleeve undershirt with a tight red graphic tee and sheer black tights. Sirius was showing Lily the ugly photos of James hung on the walls while Ana was being ushered out of the kitchen by Euphemia.

The day progressed habitually. Peter challenging Lily to a game of wizarding chess. Which James had been quipped about, Remus had only recently explained how romantic the game actually was. Remus was polite and visited Euphemia to drop off some of his mothers Welsh cakes before seeing Fleamont in his office for a mannerly greeting only to be sucked into long descriptions of his model airplanes. An obsession he had found while indulging in muggle shops.  After explanations to the war plane replicas Fleamont had asked Remus to help or rather just set up a muggle telly in the second living space.