07CAPTURED.

CHAPTER SEVEN
CAPTURED.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

There's something relaxing about walking through the silent halls of UA, all alone with nothing but your thoughts. In the distance outside, the sun is setting, filling the sky with warm shades of tangy orange, dim yellow, and a sweet, soft pink. Slivers of mellow light shine through the windows, providing some semblance of light for you to wander through the building.

Birds tweet and twitter outside, chirping for their loved ones and kin to follow their lead and return home. A long-tailed tit lands on a thin strip of bark, perching itself to rest in a stationary position. It peers at the others as they fly past it, past the trees further beyond and far into the rest of the vast sky.

Why are you staying back, while all your friends fly away without you? Shouldn't you follow them?

You peer at the bird, intrigued by its behavior.

Are you injured?

You want to ask the bird, but you know it won't understand a single word you say. Especially with the pane of glass dividing you two.

But I can try, can't I?

Quietly, you approach the glass before crouching down to stare eye-to-eye with the critter. With gentle taps, you set a rhythm of beats for the long-tailed tit to listen to in hopes it would peek at you.

After your fifth tap, the bird chirps back, hopping left and right to find the location of the noise. You silently coo, pressing your other hand to your cheek in glee.

When the bird notices your tapping, it approaches you, carefully jumping on the thick bark of the tree to reach you. Curiously, it chirps, twisting its head side to side, before sticking its beak out to touch the tip of your finger.

"(Name)!"

The sound of Yaoyorozu's voice snaps you out of your trance, sending you flying back from your place against the window. Heat creeps upon your cheeks.

Did she see me trying to get the bird's attention?

"Hi, Yaomomo. Why are you in the halls right now?" you tug at the strings of your hoodie, shifting from side to side. Momo lets out a small giggle, covering her mouth with the tips of her fingers.

"The others and I were looking for you, actually. We all were thinking of walking down to a local ramen place a few blocks away. With Mr. Aizawa's permission, of course!" Yaoyorozu's hands fall behind her back. The onyx of her eyes glisten in the beams of the sunset, bringing out a deep, golden-brown honey in the outer circles of her irises.

She really is the epitome of beauty.

"Alright," you shrug, moving to Yaomomo. "I just need to get ready before I go, then."

She latches onto your arm, pressing her chest into your shoulder. The corners of her lips move even higher than before, displaying her pearly whites. "Perfect! I'll walk with you, (Name)."

You nod your head, leading the way to your dorm. Yaoyorozu glances back as the two of you make your way to UA's dorms.

The long-tailed tit that had once perched itself upon the branch was now gone with no traces to be found. Instead, what replaced its place was a splatter of bright red blood that dripped down the rough bark of the tree.

A predator had seized its claws into the prey and stolen it from the light of day.

What a shame, to be caught as prey.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬