Smoke Signal || 2

Chapter 2 || What did you expect...?

~~~

The camp had an air of fabricated peace; the kind built on lies and half-assed promises.

They were all watching him, closely. Each movement made was scrutinized. Every time he strayed from the cooking pot to grab a few more ingredients, at least one member shifted, as if ready to spring into action. Legend was the worst, practically glaring daggers at Wild and silently daring him to make a move.

Hyrule and Twilight weren't as bad, but they were being irritating in another way. By being strangely attentive when they helped him prepare dinner, something they don't normally do. Whenever they helped out they always had to asked first, but this time both just decided to help- Sky and Four even offering too, though Wild curtly rejected them.

That being said, at least Hyrule had the sense to keep quiet and only keep any sort of conversation strictly kept to what time the soup needed to be stirred, or how small to cut the carrots. Twilight however, seemed hell bent on torturing Wild by interrogating him about y/n.

"What do they look like?" "How long have you known each other?" "How do you think they got here?" Were questions he asked along with many more, but Wild didn't give answers to any of them. After all, if Twilight really cared, he'd let him go to them. Every second spent here was another wasted getting to them.

Wild wondered about sneaking off at night. He was sure he'd be able to evade whoever was on first night watch, but it'd only be a matter of time before they noticed he was missing. And even if he was far enough away where he'd get to y/n before they could drag him back, he'd be putting the group in danger by forcing them to search for him at night. For as much as they were annoying him, for how unfair they were being, he couldn't worry them like that.

Especially Twilight. Even if the rest were to give up, he would without question comb the woods in wolf form looking for him.

While thinking about how to work around that, Wild went back into his supplies. He was looking for another spoon when instead he pulled out sleeping serum he'd brewed himself to take whenever he had a difficult night. Although, it was addictive so he learned not to take it too often. The bottle was a pretty large size, and he needed less than a teaspoon to be knocked out for a solid 8 hours...

He paused; looking at the cooking pot, then the bottle, then the pot again.

Getting up, he eyed the camp cautiously. There brief moment when Legend and the others weren't looking his way, Hyrule was preoccupied with getting the bowls ready and Twilight took a brief break to rebandage his ankle. Wild seized the window of opportunity and quickly poured every drop of the violet liquid into the pot.

The second the last drop fell, he tossed it in his open travel bag and stirred it into the mixture. It initially turned the orange soup an ugly and suspicious looking brown, but luckily any trace of the purple serum disappeared. Just in time for Hyrule to walk over with the bowls.

Instead of serving each member one at a time, Wild filled all the bowls and make sure they all started eating at roughly the same time. Except Hyrule, he got a head start on clean up before collecting his meal.

"A bit much don't you think?" Hyrule asked, watching Wild scoop an abnormally large amount of soup into his bowl. He had to pull the bowl away or else Wild would fill it over the top.

"Sorry Rulie," he said, pulling away. "It's just that I made too much- it's not just you I gave everyone an extra-large serving. Thought it would help replenish our strength faster."

Hyrule was just about able to balance the heavy bowl in one hand and use the other to pat his friend's shoulder. "We'll find them, first thing tomorrow. Promise."