Chapter 5: Decisions, decisions

A pen feverishly wrote across parchment, the sound echoed through the office space. Paper rustled. Warm sunlight streamed through the curtain-less paper, shining upon the countless tomes and scrolls scattered across the room. Peach dropped her pen and returned her attention to the book in her grasp. Her gloved hands brushed against the old image of a warp pipe, the edges frayed by time.

Peach rubbed her eyes and groaned. The memories of last week tormented her sleep. Bandages wrapped around her arms beneath her sleeves; the distress was so heavy she had dug her nails into her flesh. One moment, the new friends were enjoying themselves and celebrating the upcoming era of peace; the next, their hopes and dreams were shattered by cruel fate. Luigi was in the infirmary, plagued by ill health. Due to the stress, none of the healing items worked for him. Her friend had to endure the fever all on his own. Worst of all, Mario could only watch his sick brother.

The kingdom’s champions took a devastating blow and Peach could do nothing to assist them. She and numerous assistants have scoured every inch of the royal archives for information. They hoped to find a solution, a way to reconnect them with their home; but what they found just further worsened their predicament. Each source of information reiterated the elusive nature of non-modern warp pipes; even her ancestors had trouble navigating them. Moreover, these pipes were powerful yet extremely fragile. If damaged, the magic tether connecting locations was severed.
Permanently.

Despite the countless scholars and scriptures stating this, Peach could not accept that. There had to be a way to re-establish the connection or perhaps use a modern, safer pipe as an alternative. However, everywhere she turned, she was met with a dead end. Peach slammed the book shut and buried her face in her hands, muffling her shout of frustration. She took a shaky breath and wiped her eyes. Gentle knocking startled her.

Toadsworth entered the office, carrying on a silver tray. The elderly man glanced at the disarray and quietly shook his head. “I could have assigned someone else to continue the investigation, princess,” he said.

Peach pushed some papers around. “I should be the one to do this.”

“Princess Peach, you cannot possibly blame yourself. The warp pipe was broken from the other side. No one could have possibly foreseen this,” he replied.

Peach did not respond, did not even look up from her notes. Her guilt may seem misplaced to others, but to her, she felt responsible. After all, Peach had been wishing the two would stay. Well, she got her wish. The two are now trapped here. The universe has maliciously complied. Peach did not desire this. She pictured it much differently. Peach imagined them coming to her, declaring they wanted to stay. Ever since the princess has been punishing herself relentlessly. How could she expect them to do such a thing? How could she selfishly want them to abandon their entire lives, simply so she could drive away her own isolation?
Tink.

Princess Peach looked up, eyeing the fresh cup of tea before her. Toadsworth took a seat in front of her. “Your Highness, I understand you wish to help them. Stars know this is a precarious situation. Sadly, your people need you,” he said. “The relief efforts need your guidance. I have received calls for aid from the affected kingdoms. We cannot delay reconstruction any further.”

“I just need more time…”

Toadsworth looked at her with a dejected expression. Peach rested her forehead on her hands, tears staining her gown. The royal advisor stood up and walked to her side; he rested a hand on her arm. Peach knew she would eventually have to give up. But how could she? Luigi is sick. Mario wandered the halls like a spirit, barely eating or sleeping, worry for the only family he has left suffocated him. Peach never meant for this to happen. Stars, she genuinely thought they would go their separate ways. But the universe had other ideas. Peach was caught between a rock and a hard place. Against her very nature, she has to put her friends aside and be the princess her country needs.

Peach looked up and took deep yet shaky breaths. A stern expression on her usually friendly face. She looked up. Mario, Luigi… I’m sorry, she thought.  In a matter of seconds, the princess transformed. Her back straightened. She adjusted the crown on her head. Princess Peach folded her hands on her lap. “Toadsworth, what have the other rulers disclosed?” she asked.