Chapter 6: Giving Back

The Toadstool Palace bustled with energy. Working diligently to carry out Princess Peach's orders, the Toads began the reconstruction process. Building materials were gathered and loaded onto carts, mighty yoshis pulling them forward. Diplomatic envoys were sent out, tasked to return with the other rulers for the upcoming trial. Other dignitaries from across the globe aided with their guidance and support. And while the kingdom worked, the brothers trained.

Miraculously, Luigi recovered in two days and asked- no, more like insisted to be trained immediately. His brother thought of objecting but seeing the sheer determination in Luigi's eyes convinced him otherwise. And just like that, the man in green was placed on the Training Course.

Luigi immediately regretted his decision the moment he saw it.

However, thinking of his goal (and one "encouraging" shove from Toad) helped him through the first few levels of the course. Luigi currently held onto a brick block, panting. His legs felt like jelly. From the watchtower, his brother, Toad, and Princess Peach looked on; Mario had a hand on the ledge, ready to jump into action if Luigi needed him. The younger twin pulled himself onto the block, then leaped over a pipe, narrowly avoiding the jaws of a fake piranha plant. 

Luigi sprinted across the platform, dodging oncoming fireballs and Bullet Bills. His heart had climbed to his throat. Somehow, he managed to nearly reach the first checkpoint remarkably unscathed. How? He didn't know nor did he really care; Luigi was only glad he's managed to stay in one piece.

The verdurous plumber yelped and dropped to his stomach as a sudden bullet bill raced towards him. He could feel the heat emanating from the smiling missile. Luigi scrambled to his feet, praying thank you to whatever deity was watching over him. The man jumped over a poisoned pond, then ran up some blocks. He stopped for a moment, glancing at the checkpoint; the flag waved with the wind. With a whimper, Luigi leaped off the platform, reaching for the platform's edge

.

.

.

And promptly fell into a pond.

            Sounds of dismay came from the onlookers. Luigi coughed and sputtered as he swam to the side; grunting slightly, he hauled himself over the side and laid on the ground. Mario leaped off the watchtower, slid down its side, then quickly ran towards him once he safely hit the ground. Luigi groaned and wrung his hat, face flushed with embarrassment. He was so close! If only the block beneath him hadn't vanished... His brother tapped his arm. He gently helped him sit up. "You okay, Luigi?" he asked.

Luigi wiped his face. "Y-yeah, I'm okay," he mumbled.

            Peach and Toad walked over to them. The princess knelt by his side. "You were outstanding for your first try!" she exclaimed.

Mario smiled. "Yeah! Trust me, you did a lot more smoothly than I did," he confessed.

Toad leaned on his staff. "Remember, Luigi. This was a test run. We're only gauging your skills," he said.

"If that's the case, do you really need all the fire and missiles?"

"Yes."