Chapter 26: Femme Fatale

CW: Alcohol, discussion of past abuse

Toadsworth was seated at his desk, surrounded by stacks of papers and files. He had been working diligently for hours, poring over the documents in front of him. Suddenly, there was a soft knock on the door. Toadsworth looked up and saw Toadette standing there, her face wearing an expression of concern. As he invited her inside, he could not help but notice the tension in her body and the worry etched on her face.

"Sir, Princess Peach has gone to the basement," she said.

The aging royal advisor dropped everything and immediately rushed to her side. He followed the maid down the long, dimly lit corridor leading to the basement. Toadsworth's heart raced with worry as he tried to comprehend why Princess Peach would venture into such a place alone. She has not done something like this since... her parents' passing.

Queen Bean locked the area of the palace immediately after the funeral. Princess Peach had sneaked in a few times and would always come back in tears. However, after Toadsworth had a stern talk with her, she never went back again.

Until today.

Toadsworth stopped by the open doors, noting the scratches on the lock. He sighed, signaled for Toadette to follow, and entered the dark hallway.

.

.

.

Peach cradled the harp tenderly, her delicate fingers plucking the strings with precision, weaving a hauntingly melancholic melody. The ethereal notes reverberated throughout the room, saturating the air with a poignant yearning that tugged at the heartstrings. A perfect reflection of her forlorn state of mind, a symphony of sorrow that echoed her crestfallen spirit.

Above a gleaming silver pedestal, a meticulously painted portrait of her beloved parents gazed down upon her, their presence casting a shadow of longing and nostalgia. Light pink gladioli flowers sat in a vase below the portrait. The princess continued to play, her tears falling down her face and staining her skirts, as her mind wandered.

Peach awkwardly sat before an infuriated Daise as she paced around the throne room. She knew this day would come; due to King K. Rool's attack, the Dark Army was held up in Kong Country. Peach could not hide any longer and had to inform Daisy about the situation.

And her cousin was not happy about that.

"The trade routes are still a mess! Our water distribution system is still on the fritz! Totomesu and the other kings are breathing down my neck. What the actual fuck, Peach?"

The Toadstool Princess frowned. "Daisy, I am sorry. Kong Country was under attack and-"

"So, you call a council meeting," the Crowned Princess snapped. "We are all one painting jump or warp pipe away!

"I didn't have time! Their food supplies were depleted, supply ships were being destroyed, and the Kremlings were going to attack the village capital!"

Daisy glared at her as she simmered in her rage. Eye bags were visible under her eyes. And she couldn't blame her. Judging from Peach's letters from the Crowned Princess and the Emperor, things were serious in Sarasaland.

"Fine," Daisy said. "That doesn't make you keeping this from me acceptable."

Peach rubbed her arm, "I-I informed you-"

"After the decision was made," Daisy interjected.

Peach could sense that Daisy's anger had transformed into sadness and betrayal, leaving a terrible taste in her mouth. She didn't intend to make her cousin feel this way. She has a lot of responsibilities to manage at the moment, such as supporting diplomatic ties with major and minor kingdoms.