Chapter 30: Aerial Madness

As the Koopa airships sailed gracefully through the sky, the soldiers of the Koopa Troop found a momentary respite from their usual duties. The gentle hum of the airship's engines and the soothing breeze created a tranquil atmosphere as they approached the Great Poison Pond.

            On the main deck, Koopa Troopers gathered in small groups, enjoying a moment of camaraderie. Some engaged in friendly games of hanafuda, their colorful cards fluttering in the air as the ship sailed smoothly. The clinks of coins and occasional laughter echoed, creating a lively ambiance.

            Meanwhile, others basked in the warmth of the Sarasaland sun, lying on makeshift lounges or towels. The familiarity of the heat brought a sense of comfort to the soldiers, reminiscent of their homeland. They shared stories of adventures and battles, finding solace in each other's company.

            Bowser lay on the quarterdeck, sitting on a large lounge chair with a hand behind his head and a stack of papers on the other; Kamek had written a series of audience requests for him to review. If he wanted to start fixing diplomatic relations between his kingdom and Sarasaland, the royal advisor recommended taking a more proactive approach: giving their respects and apologies directly, then getting to work on reconstruction.

            As soon as he could, Bowser needed to request an audience with each ruler; he might not be able to meet the emperor, but he could try his plan with Princess Daisy. The sandy empire held great political power and was Mushroom’s closest ally. If Bowser had any chance of re-igniting the peace negotiations, he had to get the Crowned Princess’ trust, as well as the Four Kings.

            The king yawned; while this was part of his duties, it didn’t make it any less monotonous and headache-inducing. Not to mention, Princess Daisy was rather intense; Bowser doesn’t frighten easily, but the way she was glaring at him during his trial was… something else. Bowser was not looking forward to seeing her again, but he had to bite the bullet and just get it done. He turned his attention back to the papers. With his attention elsewhere, he didn’t notice the trouble brewing below decks.

“I literally saw you take it! Don’t lie to me, Jean!”

“Kai, I’m telling you, it wasn’t me! I was in the mess hall!”

            The Hammer Sisters bickered back and forth, arguing over a missing notebook. As the heated exchange between Jean and the accused crew member continued, the atmosphere below decks became tense. The ship's usual ambient sounds were now overshadowed by the rising voices, and crew members started to gather around, drawn by the commotion.

            Everyone was so focused on the brewing fight that no one noticed the other Jean walking away, her shoulder shaking with nearly contained laughter; it was interesting how quickly chaos could be done with a simple spell. Man, Junior wished he’d broken into Kamek’s library sooner!

Junior (still disguised as Jean) slipped into a bathroom and washed off the disguise; with that one removed, he quickly pulled out his paintbrush and moved on to the next one. He giggled as he painted the finishing touches of his costume disguise. The Dark Prince smiled as he looked in the mirror. Rather than his own reflection, Idaten looked back at him. Junior has wanted to learn more spells for ages! And all it took was one peek at one of Kamek’s books and a new world of pranks opened up to him. He could even mimic their voices!

            Junior adjusted his (Idaten’s) helmet before leaving the bathroom. He used his newly formed wings to dash toward the mess hall. As Junior confidently strutted into the mess hall, he tried his best to put on a stoic face and not react to any sound; after all, Idaten was deaf, and if anyone saw him doing that he’d get caught instantly.