Chapter 11: Acquainted at Last

The sound of trumpeting and chirping pulled the Super Brothers from their stupor. King Boreas stood in front of a large, blue & white painting, surrounded by penguins. One of them had a crown, similar to the king’s but made of silver; three, smaller avians circled them. They must be his family. King Boreas noticed their presence and welcomed them with a smile. He raised his flippers, “The heroes of the decade. Morning greetings to you all!”

“Morning greetings, King Boreas,” Peach said.

The Super Brothers returned his greetings with a bow. Boreas beamed at them, then turned to the smaller penguins. “Gentlemen, this is my wife, Janara.”

The silver-crowned hen chirped and ruffled her feathers. “It is an honor to meet you,” she said in a soft voice. 

The chicks around them trumpeted and squawked.

Janara waddled forward and laughed quietly. “These little noisemakers are our children.”

The royal children let out loud braying noises and flapped their wings. Judging by the parents’ calm demeanor, it must be some form of greeting. Boreas chuckled and gestured to the closest one, “This is Guinevere, our eldest,” he said. The princess stepped forward and bobbed her head. The penguin king and queen introduced the other children. The middle child was Iclyn, easily identified by her much lighter plumage.

“And this is Tuxie, our youngest nestling.”

          The baby penguin yelped and hid behind her mother. Mario and Luigi kneeled, smiling at the little one. Tuxie looked up at her parents, silently asking for permission. Her mother nodded and gently nudged her forward. Princess Tuxie rushed to Mario and jumped into his arms, nearly knocking the man over; her siblings joined them in the tackle. The Snow rulers and Princess Peach laughed at the scene, amused by their behavior. Mario gently lifted the baby penguin, “She’s absolutely adorable!” he said. Tuxie chirped and flapped her flippers.

Luigi yelped. “Mario! You can’t just lift a princess! What if you drop her?” he whispered through his teeth.

“Why not? You always do it with a certain *ahem* prince, and I don’t see you worrying about that.”

          Luigi’s face reddened. Were they spying on him? He made a mental note to reprimand his brother over that later. Mario smirked at him, once again giving him that “I know more than you do” look he had this morning. Peach stepped forward, “Well, now that we are acquainted with the royal Penguin Family, I think we should head to the Snow Kingdom,” she said. “Toadsworth has informed me the last of the troops have arrived.”

“Then, let us make haste. Children!”

           The penguin princesses stopped running around them and obeyed their father’s orders; they ran back to their mother. Mario put Tuxie down and let the baby penguin go. Queen Janara preened her children before she took them under her wing. She tweeted before grabbing Tuxie and then leaping into the painting; their bodies vanished in a ripple. The princesses followed shortly after. The Super Brothers gasped. Boreas looked at Princess Peach, “Thank you for having us, Princess Peach. May the Stars shine upon you!” he said, then jumped through the painting.

Princess Peach put her hands over her hip. “Come on, Luigi. It’s your turn at becoming this ‘Michelin Man,” she quipped. “I can inform you of your assignments there.”