Chapter 32: Swayed Heart

Luigi tossed and turned in bed, his mind restless with thoughts swirling like a tempest. Yesterday's events hung heavy in his mind, particularly the impending test of Sarasaland's security system. He couldn't shake the image of Daisy, resolute and battle-ready. The security measures they were about to face would undoubtedly be intense, and it gnawed at his nerves.

Questions flooded his mind, each one a weight dragging him deeper into the mire of uncertainty. Were Bowser and Junior alright? King Totomesu's intimidating presence had left Luigi uneasy, especially considering how it seemed to unnerve even the Koopas. It didn't seem fair-they had faced countless trials, from the chaos in Kong Country to the efforts to reconcile with the Snow Kingdom and now Sarasaland. Shouldn't their efforts count for something?

What frustrated him most was the missed opportunity to connect with Bowser and Junior. Despite the king's unexpected display of respect towards Daisy, she had brushed him off without a second thought, denying Luigi the chance to speak with them. It felt like Sarasaland was stuck in the past, refusing to acknowledge the strides they had made towards peace. Feeling suffocated by his thoughts, Luigi pulled a pillow over his face and let out a frustrated yell, a release of the pent-up tension that had been building within him.

The human let go of his pillow and stretched across his bed. He knew there was conflict between Daisy and Bowser, and he would give her the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for the fact that the latter had gone through hell and back to redeem himself. There had to be a way to see Bowser; King Totomesu wouldn't be constantly looming over him, right? After all, he has a kingdom to run. Maybe after today, he could sneak into the camp to check up on them. Luigi's mind raced with the possibility of sneaking into the camp to see Bowser and Junior. He knew it was risky, but the thought of being able to spend time with them without Daisy's interference was enticing; it might be his only option since she was adamantly proud of her actions.

"Lu?"

Oh, crap, it was morning already. Mario knocked at the door of his room. Luigi groaned and sat up; he was so not looking forward to today. Nevertheless, the slightly heartbroken man crawled out of bed. "Yeah, I'm up," he replied. He heard his brother's retreating steps as he sat in his bed. Let's just get this over with, Luigi thought. After testing the security, whether allowed or not, he's seeing his family.

»--•--«

When Daisy said to test the security system, they thought she meant to make sure the alarms worked or that the shields around the Power Star were strong enough.... Not run through a hallway full of deadly traps. Mario and Luigi found themselves trapped in a corridor filled with deadly traps, their hearts pounding as they dodged swinging blades and leaped over pitfalls filled with spikes. Daisy's idea of testing the security system certainly differed from theirs.

"We've gotta make it through this, Luigi!" Mario shouted over the cacophony of traps.

"I'm trying, bro, but this is insane!" Luigi yelled back, narrowly avoiding a jet of flame shooting from the wall.

As they cleared each section, the traps seemed to grow more treacherous, as if the castle itself was determined to keep them from reaching their goal. They couldn't even see where the Power Star was being held! Anxious to get out of there, they continued to avoid the pits and axes, ducking into cracks in the walls to avoid the fireballs.

With sweat beading on their brows, they pushed through swinging pendulums, leaped over bottomless pits, and dodged rolling boulders with expert precision. But as they progressed deeper into the heart of the castle, a sense of foreboding crept over them. Their thoughts were interrupted by the distant sound of gears turning and mechanisms whirring to life. The ground beneath them began to tremble, and they exchanged a worried glance before steeling themselves for whatever came next.