We're not counting the first 10.

April 2021. Tessa's POV.

As I walked out onto the field, I could feel the nerves coursing through my body. It's been 5 months since my last game,, and I knew that I wasn't quite at the same level I had been before. But as I took my place on the field, I felt a surge of determination wash over me. I was going to give it my all, no matter what.

Lot's of changes happened during the off-season. Emily was traded to Orlando before the end of the last season, and didn't get any minutes at all. That's when Kelley convinced her to get a trade to Washington, which she did and now she's on our team. It's fun having her around, and me and her get up to lots of mischief now. Also, we had a new young player join, the youngest in the league at 18 years old. This said player was Trinity Rodman, daughter of Dennis Rodman. Trinity decided to join the league and was picked up by the Spirit, and Sonnett, Kelley and I have already become close friends with her.

The match went by in an instant and as I walked off the field after the final whistle, I couldn't help but feel proud of myself for coming back after last year. It had been a long and difficult journey, but I made it.

July, 2021.

"Fuck this shit," I muttered as I sat at the kitchen table, staring at the official Olympic USWNT roster on my phone, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My name wasn't on it. I had been working so hard, fighting through all of my injuries and setbacks, and yet, here I was, left out.

I felt my heart sink as I realized that my livelihood was slowly being stripped away from me. My dreams of representing my country on the international stage were slipping further and further out of reach. And as I reached for the bottle of beer on the table, I knew that I was spiraling into a decline.

I've always been an uncommunicative, reclusive person, and it was difficult for my teammates, friends, and coaches to know what was going on with me. They tried to reach out and offer support, but I was too far gone, consumed by my own self-pity and despair.

"Tess," Kelley says, and I look at her. A worried expression on her face, "Don't lose yourself over this, there's plenty of chances to return to the national team."

"But I made it my goal, I was determined to be back for the Olympics. Now look, you make it on the roster, which I don't have any issues with, and here's me, stuck at home once again." I rant.

Kelley wrapped her arm around me, giving me a gentle kiss on the lips. "I know it sucks, but at least it gives you more time. You'll be back before you know it."

As the days went by, I slowly came to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to be a part of the Olympic team. It was hard to accept, but I knew that Mal was in my place, and I couldn't begrudge her for that. She was a talented and deserving player, and I knew that she would make the most of her opportunity.

"You got everything?" I asked Kelley as she brought her packed bags downstairs.

She nodded, "Yep. All set."

"Let's go then." I said and I helped load her bags in my car before we headed off for the airport.

The traffic was stir crazy as always and eventually we made it. As I pulled up outside, I gave Kelley a big hug, "Bring back that Gold Medal for us, okay?"

"Will do, Tess. I'll message you when we land in Tokyo."

We both hugged again and I didn't want to let go, but she'll be away for a few weeks, so it's not like she'll be gone for a year.

"Love you Kel,"

"I love you too." She said before pulling away and walking into the airport.

*************

1 week later. Kelley's POV

Being here in Tokyo has been a fun experience so far. All of us were in high gear since it was the Olympics and a lot was written on the wall for us, since we're representing our country and have a chance to bring home some gold.

I've been calling and messaging Tessa when I can, and from the sounds of things she's doing okay. Well that's what I thought until Aubrey let me know that Tessa has started leaving midway through practice or not show up at all. That's enough for me to know that Tessa is still reeling, and I wish I could give her a hug and comfort her, but I can only comfort her with words through the phone sadly.

Surprisingly, Alex is back with us. We need all power we can get since we're facing top opponents.

Today was media day. And Tobin and I were tasked with an interview.

"So, this is the 3rd time you guys have represented your country in the Olympics. Is it still as exciting and do you feel a sense of pride knowing you're still representing your country on the world stage?" The interviewer then holds the mic in front of Tobin.

"Yeah, this is definitely exciting. To be here for my 3rd one is awesome but stressful at the same time since you're, you know, representing your country. But I have a lot of pride in it, we all do." She answered.

"What are your thoughts on the, well, haters I guess you say. You know the people who criticize women's soccer?"

He pointed the microphone to me and I didn't know what to say, so I just shrugged my shoulders and thought of whatever.

"If you know, ignore them, they'll go away. And then the ones you can't ignore, you listen to them and then you tell them to go away, there's really no need to reply or respond. We enjoy what we're doing and if you can't understand or deal with it, shut up and don't watch."

"Yeah exactly. Don't watch." Tobin says, backing up my point.

"This year is also a big one since it's been 10 years since you two and a few others made their debut for the national team. Does it seem like 10 years for you guys?"

"Yes. Might have even been 20." I answered.

"We're not counting the first 10." Tobin responded with a huge grin.

"Is retirement something you guys are currently looking at? Like when will you think that you'll stop playing?" He asked, and pointed the mic towards Tobin.

"When we get too old and can't move anymore."

"And when is that?"

"Next week." I quickly say and Tobin and I start laughing. Even the interviewer tries not to laugh too.