I Can't Pretend

My shift at the coffee shop ended around 1pm and I had a class at 2pm which lasted for an hour and a half, luckily allowing me to get home and shower before the show tonight.
Sally came over to get ready with me as she wanted to, in her words "Sexify" my look.

She was a little pissed with me that Kurt even showed me any attention and her none at all, but that was a week of her not speaking to me and I was perfectly okay with that.

Now, a year on, she's dating the drummer Chad. Not really a surprise, since he was the first one she flirted with that night and he made goo goo eyes over her.

I step out of the shower and grab a couple of towels. One for my body and one I have fashioned into a turban for my hair. I splash my face with cold water at the sink to wake me up a little, as today has been quite long and tiring. Once I emerge from the bathroom, I go to my room and see clothes laid out on the bed.

Sally saunters in with a glass of pinot.

"You are gonna look fine." She says, sitting on the end of the bed, sipping from her wine.

I look at her with slight disgust and slight confusion at the hodge podge of clothing scattered around.

"There is no way I'm wearing that." I say, pointing to a leather mini skirt that might as well be a belt.

"Oh come on! Groupie 101, mini skirts and no panties! Kurt will be captivated by you." She says.

"What do you mean? I'm not trying to attract attention." I reply, feeling awkward about this conversation.

"Oh come on. The only reason you're going tonight is because of him. I've seen you picking up all the magazines in the store that mention Kurt or Nirvana. I'm with his drummer and even I don't buy those things." Sally says, going through the clothes on the bed.

"For the record, I'm going so I can add to my portfolio." I reply simply.

Kurt had become a little more famous now, his picture along with the band was becoming a regular fixture on and in local magazines as well as a few bigger ones in the "Bands to watch" sections. I guess Sally is right. I have been collecting these magazines, but I wouldn't have if it weren't for the band, and Kurt.

"Girl, that camera stays here. That bulky thing is enough to scare off anyone." She states.

"If it stays then so do I. I'm serious about photography, I'm working hard so one day I can do it in a professional capacity." My tone changes as I say this. More serious.

"Ooo this!" Sally continues, holding up a dress, completely skipping past my last comment.

I roll my eyes, knowing she hasn't been listening to me.

It's a black leather mini dress, with spaghetti straps which leaves nothing to the imagination.

"This will get him riled up." Sally states.

"Sally, like I said I'm not looking for attention. That thing is not me." I reply.

"Exactly! That's part of me 'sexifying' your look. If you wear this with some knee high black boots, he will wanna sweep you off of your feet." She adds.

"Can I go for something a little more colourful at least?" I suggest, taking my hair out of the turban, my long blonde locks flow down my back.

"Eh yeah I guess." She says, placing the leather monstrosity down. Her eyes dart to another dress and she smiles.

She takes it and holds it up.
"Now THIS."

It's actually quite cute. Who am I and what the fuck am I saying regarding a fashion piece from Sally's wardrobe?