As I Want You To Be

After we made love, me and Kurt drifted off into a peaceful and euphoric sleep. I got up around 2am and threw on Kurt's plaid shirt, buttoning it up, before I headed to the lounge.

I grabbed my acoustic bass guitar and started working on something. Something with a prominent bass line that I've had in my head for a while. I start playing the tune I have and grab the pen and scribble the notes on the notepad which is on the coffee table, so I don't forget.

I play around on my bass for around half an hour before I see Kurt walk into the room. He yawns and sits beside me on the couch.

"Ooo sorry, I didn't wake you did I?" I ask.

"Yes...yes you did...but not because of the bass. You weren't there when I turned to hug you....completely your fault." He smiles teasingly, his eyes still half asleep. "I like the way you play."

"Thanks." I smile. "I've been working on something...been in my head all day yesterday so I thought I would translate it to my bass."

"It's crazy you play like that, but you aren't in a band...you really should be." He states.

I shake my head. "Thanks, but I'm not good enough. I just like to play for myself and play songs I like."

"And create music like you just did...honestly, I have connections, I could get you together with some people I know and you could jam. Doesn't have to be serious, but I think you play that thing like a fucking dream." Kurt replies.

"Jamming would be fun actually." I say in realisation. "You really think I'm good enough?" I ask.

"Are you kidding me? Yeah! If Krist weren't in the band, I'd snap you up immediately." He laughs. "I got a few friends in a band called Regis Matters, they jam on Sundays if you wanted to join them?" 

"Sure, why the fuck not? It's been a few weeks of firsts for me, so why should this be any different?" I smile.

"That's my girl." Kurt says, rubbing my back before nuzzling at my neck.

I cast a wide smile and bite my bottom lip.

"I like being your girl..." I state, putting my guitar down by the side of the couch and falling into his affections for me.

We make out for a good 20 minutes before we decide to go back to bed.

**

Our relationship had blossomed even more over the next few months, and as Christmas came around, he asked me to move in with him. I accepted his offer gladly and since I've moved into his place, I have tidied it up a little and made it more homely.

March came around and the devastating news that Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone had passed away from a heroin overdose, messed up Seattle and the  music scene. I was shocked, I never met him, but Sally did and she said he was a real nice guy. She obviously knew him through Jeff Ament who was the bassist for the group, and yes she was still seeing him.

Sally decided to keep her baby, but that was after Chad refused to acknowledge it was his, so she stayed with Jeff. Jeff knows and is excited to be a dad, even though it isn't his child biologically. Sally has a few more months left of her pregnancy, but she is in a good place now and learning about motherhood. I'm happy for her.

Kurt was able to get me to jam with Regis Matters and I met 3 people who became friends of mine. My new band mates. Jim, Matt and Jayne. Jayne and Jim are brother and sister, she plays guitar and lead vocals, he's the drummer. Matt is lead guitar and he is insanely good at the technical side of music, gifted with solos. I fit right in as a bassist and did a few backing vocals.

Tonight is our first show in a dive bar around the corner from the University. The same place I first saw Kurt. I'm nervous as hell, but Kurt will be there as well as Sally and Jeff. It's the 12th of April show.

Sally found out about me and Kurt in December, when I met with her one day at a diner for lunch. She was surprisingly fine with it, although I could tell she was a little annoyed at me for not telling her sooner that me and Kurt had been dating for a little while. Our relationship as friends has improved a lot more now we are kind of both settled and happy, and she even asked me to be the God Mother to her child, which I agreed to.

I had a few classes today, followed by a shift at the coffee shop. I rushed home after to get ready for the show.

All my gear is down at the bar, as we did a soundcheck yesterday.

Sally came round with Jeff, who was still flirting with me despite the fact he was in a relationship with my friend. 

"I NEED to choose your clothes for tonight!" Sally says jumping around with excitement.

"I knew you would come over for that!" I laugh. "That's why I emptied my wardrobe so you could pick some pieces out."

"Can I watch?" Jeff asks with a smirk and a wink. He's just an extremely flirtatious man, it's just who he is.

"NO! You bloody can't!" I say, my Essex accent very strong with this one.

"Awww man...." he says before heading to the couch and turning on the TV.

Me and Sally walk to mine and Kurt's bedroom and we look at the clothes draped over the bed.

"This place looks so much better now you've been here for a little while." Sally states.

"Yeah, well it needed a bit of care." I reply.

"Where is Kurt?" She asks. 

"He's doing rehearsals with Nirvana, then he's gonna meet us at the bar." I say, looking at the pile of clothing.

"Nice!" she responds. "What do you think about this?"

Sally pulls out a cute babydoll dress, a black little number with a white collar and buttons.

"For a rock show?" I say, as it's very modest.

"Yeah, we can trim the skirt down so it's shorter and if you wear it with some Doc Martens, then you will look fucking badass." Sally states.

I understand what she means and I love the idea. Cute and innocent with the dress, but taking no shit with the boots.

"Punk Rock!" I reply with a smile.

I get dressed and admire the outfit in the mirror in my room. I then curl my hair and put on some dark eyeliner and a slick of dark red lipstick.

Damn, for the first time in a while, I actually think I look pretty awesome. I feel it too.

I emerge from my room to the lounge where Jeff and Sally are sitting.

Jeff seems lost for words, and I'm pretty sure he is getting hard. 

"GIRL! You look so good!" Sally says.

"I agree." Jeff says, tilting his head to see my ass. Sally rolls her eyes at him which is standard.

"Ready to go?" I ask.

I call a cab and we wait until it arrives.