6. Rebirth as hunter

"Atswon!" I cried out, happily embracing him in a tight and comforting hug. He yelled my name as a reply.

"How have you been?" He asked, drawing his head back so our eyes could meet.

"Me? The same as usual. It is you that needs to tell me everything. How was Ta'unui?"

His eyes roamed slightly before answering."The village is great, it is smaller than ours but they have a shocking amount of trees I know you would love. As for my grandmother... she is still sick, but refuses to come here for Ronal's help."

"Srane, she can be really stubborn. I can tell she is gonna be fine. You should only start to worry if she loses her sense of humor." I laughed, very conscious that was what he needed. Someone he could talk to, but also lighten the room.

"Sìltsan. You're usually with your sister by this time, sorry if I kept you waiting."

"That's no problem, 'eylan, I'll always be here for you, as I know you are for me."

We walked slowly to my mauri, holding each other with a side hug. I was already used to the physical affection we had to show to look like a couple.

"Today's the day, isn't it? You get to bond with a tsurak."

"Srane. It is the next step of iknimaya, which reminds me that you already did it. How was it for you?"

He shrugged. "Those animals are tough to tame. It took me some time, but I'm positive you'll get to it quicker. You are a rock hard to crack," he smiled.

"What a skxawng you are. I'll ignore you think of me as a literal rock and instead thank you for your sweet words. Thank you, my sweet and caring though hunter," I said as I grabbed his cheeks and jiggled them, like his grandma did.

"Ftang nga! Psahik, forget what I said, you are such a bugger." He let go of me and pinched my waist, which I hated with all my being.

"I get it, I get it! But, seriously. In three days, if I manage to bond with the tsurak, I'll be given my hunter clothes, three beads for my songchord and, most importantly, my first actual tattoo!"

"One, you'll get through it. Second, I can't wait to see you in those clothes, you'll probably look a lot tougher. And third, you already have three tattoos, it is not like you don't know how it feels. There is absolutely nothing that you should be worried about." He gave me a sheepish smile and I smacked the back of his head.

"One, irayo. Second, I think so, too, and it serves good to be respected more. Third, I know! But they don't count. They tell stories of my accomplishments that are too small to compare them to becoming a hunter."

"Okay, okay! Calm down, woman. You don't want the people to think we got into a fight, do you? They can be real story tellers if you give them just a piece of intel."

"Fine."

We kept on discussing, this time quietly, until we got to my home. He bid goodbyes with some lame joke. I rolled my eyes at him and entered the pod. It had a nice scent, due to Ronal's present of a mix of negative energy repellent herbs. A yawn escaped my mouth.

"It's unbelievable, ain't it, sis? Not even halfway through the day and I'm already half dead."

I somewhat expected to receive an answer, but it didn't happen. I kneeled beside her and began carefully cleaning her face with a damp cloth.

"I'm nervous about today. I'm actually shitting myself. I have been waiting, as well as dreading, for this day for ten years now. You know I always say how you've been missing out on the big parts of my life, but it is no joke. Kinttray, mom and Atswon's parents will begin to set the date of our mating ceremony and will begin to invite as many people as they can.