Extra I. The quiet baby

It wasn't odd to anyone that the moment I came out of Na'tyr's womb I didn't cry. After all, it had been Mo'at's prediction that I'd be a calm kid, and Mo'at was rarely mistaken. Unless, of course, she hadn't seen anything, and whatever had happened hadn't been contemplated before, but that was also rare. I simply let out a wail or two, nothing more. My parents didn't worry I might die. Instead, their smiles grew wider.

The true form of a person's soul and being can only be once admired during birth. That is because, after many years of living, that form is disguised by the pile of changes that occurred due to, well, living. Experiencing pain and love, excitement and boredom, happiness and sadness, liking and disgust. You can sometimes also See that form when the person is dying, but that is another story. The whole purpose of Seeing comes from there, Eywa taught us.

Depending on the nature of the baby —their unique soul— you can See them more than once or twice, but it all varies. The rule, for every living Na'vi, is Seeing at birth. When a baby cries a lot, you can be sure it will not grow to be a hunter, but more of a cook or teacher. When that child laughs it usually represents a love towards the living, someone caring and selfless, some form of healer. When that baby is immediately craving food or sleep, it would make a good singer that rests its voice. When a baby was born and its face was angry, you could see a leader or a warrior. Hunters are found in babies that would start moving erratically and hitting things. When a baby is born like I was, one cry and then totally silent, it was meant to be... different. It meant the loneliness of a great warrior, hunter, and person. And the little cry was a sign of wanting and giving love to those around.

As a daughter of two great hunters, it was their greatest joy that I'd grow up to be like them. However, it didn't exactly mean that I wouldn't make trouble, nor that I'd be perfect. Because nobody is perfect.

Growing up second in line was both a blessing and a curse. I didn't have to carry the weight of being the example, the role model, the unproblematic offspring. That was my sister. From what I remember of Maitrey, that is a fair amount of memories that not all people can store of their early years, she was always calmer than me. It was her way of being, similar to Kiri's. They would hold hands and crawl or walk their way to some plants, then they'd close their eyes and stay still for minutes. They felt something no one else did.

And then there was me, having to catch up to Maitrey. I was better than her at hunting animals, but she understood them better. She always found some wounded animal that she could put out of misery, instead of tracking one down and killing him, as I did. Her way of doing things was more to Eywa's liking, I suppose, because dad would always be happy that things for her were so easy to do. It came naturally.

Dad was more focused on the warrior part, while Mom wanted me to have her mesmerizing singing and strong voice. That meant that every now and then she would sit next to me and show me the usual lullabies and songs that she'd sing. I never caught up with her expectations, so she stopped teaching me.

It was somewhat lonely and not as happy as I had expected life to be. But that was how things were meant to be for people like me.

For a quiet baby.

—————
Author's note:

Hello people! Here it is, the extra 'chapter' I said I'd write about your birth and childhood. It is definitely shorter than usual, but I think it's nice the way it is. Think of it as another introduction.

Anyway, I'm off to write chapter 12 so it can be published later today or tomorrow morning.

Happy (late) Three Kings day, cheers.

P.S. Pásensela muy bien con sus seres queridos, celebren o no el Día de Reyes. El tiempo es preciado. Los quiero.