16. The Sky People ruin everything

The next two days after Kiri's seizure she remained on in family's mauri. I had found it easy enough to take care of her given that I still slept in Atswon's pod and going from his to Kiri's whenever she needed me was rather quick, but it was not easy enough to persuade Neytiri to continue with her normal routine. The first day she'd spent it by her side, not doing anything else. It had been a favor of Jake's that I agreed to, and would have done anyway by my own accord, of checking up on Kiri. Nevertheless, the motherly worry Neytiri had remained present even when she knew I would assist her daughter to the best of my abilities.

Those two days I had given my best to distract Neteyam from the situation. Whenever I had free time, I would search for him in the village, take his hand and drag him to the shack in the mangrove forest or The Caves. I never interrupted anything other than his somber train of thought, which I could see revolved only around Kiri. The night of the first day Neteyam pulled me in for a hug and thanked me for doing what he knew he couldn't do by himself: make him forget.

I could have labeled it a waste of time if I had done the nothingness I did with Neteyam with another person. When we weren't sitting in silence, observing the sky and our surroundings while snuggling closer to each other, we would talk nonsense. It was witty. And so I was laying on the floor, the short grass tickling my back and legs while my head rested on Neteyam's shoulder, his arm extended below my neck, and his hands playing with my unbraided hair.

"How do you see yourself in five years?" I asked, not taking my gaze off the constellation far above in the sky that had begun to darken.

"Sorry, what?" He answered, confused. I assumed he didn't hear me.

"I asked how you see yourself in five years."

"Oh, well, I hadn't thought about it. I guess ever since last year nothing has been settled. Everything can happen." He sounded uncertain and with a hint of fear, letting out a sigh.

"Would you go back to the forest?"

"I don't know. I don't think I could unless you come with me," he said in a very natural way that made me choke on my saliva. He laughed at the stunned expression on my face. "I mean it! And if the clan didn't want you to go then I'd steal you from them. There's no chance I'll be half of Pandora away from you again."

I blushed and chuckled. Neteyam was the sweetest, bravest, and purest person I had met. He knew how to be romantic in the least romantic settings, like that one breakfast the day Lo'ak met Payakan or when he randomly kissed my cheek when I called him names during our first flight on his ikran, Txil. Everything he did made me feel some type of way no one had before, and I have how much it made me laugh and redden and unable to process thoughts correctly. It didn't help that he constantly talked of himself and me as an us he'd never leave.

"Don't do that!" I said.

"Do what?"

"That! You- talk of me in your life." I moved my hands around in the air as if they could somehow make him understand better what I meant.

"You are a fundamental part of my life, may I remind you. You have been in the past, you are now and you sure will be in the future. I don't think there's a scenario in my head where you are not there, either it is physically or simply because you're always on my mind."

I stopped smiling when he pronounced the last words. That had been a very... straightforward confession. Neteyam probably thought the same as I did, as his body tensed and the hand that was fiddling with my hair stopped mid-movement.

"Shit, did I say too much?" He asked, his voice coming out squeaky.

I chuckled loudly and hugged my stomach from the slight pain of running out of breath. "I think you did."