21. The first (official) date

I was determined to make that day the most precious that Neteyam could ever think of. It wouldn't all be me, because for some reason my romantic mind ran short whenever I thought of doing something later. Neteyam was more romantic than me. He normally was the one to say we should go swimming or play in The Caves or to start the interesting conversations. I was the one to laugh and take walks, cuddle and hear, not talk. I was the one to ask random questions, like the time I asked him which animal he'd be, and he said a kenten— a fan lizard. They were fun, cute, little, and elusive. Not easy prey, but also not the best predator. That was my share, apart from the set of problems that came with me, while he told countless stories and jokes, and came up with phrases of the most delicate and tenderhearted love, accompanied by a hypnotic wave of his mesmerizing eyes and voice.

Neteyam also had a driven passion for hunting, which I only got to know of when we reunited because as a kid it was more of a fascination that he didn't practice much. But now we both went to the reef and hunted together. We had fun during those times, as we didn't take lives when it wasn't necessary, and cooked them on the grill of the bonfire in the shack. It was funny because we spent so much time together in the shack that it felt like it was our home. Neteyam felt like helping me cook, but most of the time he just observed as I did the work, knowing how much I loved to do it. It was the seasoning that I actually was most interested in; how the plants around us had many different purposes, whether it was to spice up fish or heal people, I was thrilled by the feeling of grinding them until they became dust or mash. It was one of my favorite things to do.

On other occasions, we played a game of dares. Would Neteyam eat a raw fish? Sure he tried, and almost puked after swallowing it. Would I run around the village screaming like crazy? It only took me a minute to complete it. Would he climb up one of the stacks around the island and jump into the water? He had a grin the entire time and did it in the most ungraceful world way possible. Would I eat a larva that was crawling up a tree in the mangrove forest? No, definitely not, if simply by seeing it it was sticky and squishy. Those were the things we had done, some during our night escapes and some after they stopped.

After Atswon died we didn't talk much during the day. But the nights were ours. Neteyam would keep me close to him as he extended his arm for me to rest my head. I laid next to him, like I was giving him a side hug, and put my hand on his chest. I felt at ease with the sensation of his heart pumping under my fingers, his skin warm. He would then whisper things in my ear, either sweet words or my name. I couldn't stop my cheeks from turning a light pink. After the many days and nights the time we spent together added up to, I saw small details of how he acted: Neteyam liked physical touch, whether it was holding my hand or completely embracing each other for hours long; he was also, and most certainly, very fond of me playing with his hair, he let me add some beads to it and softly massage his scalp. It was relaxing for him, but only when we weren't kissing, because that way it was the exact opposite. There was no way for me to not enjoy his gentle touch, his handmade gifts —of which I had two already, in just a week and a half—, and the time we had. Neteyam made me feel comfortable in more ways than one, he made me feel cared for.

Neteyam was all of that and more, from silly and romantic to protective and brave. He was always too willing to do things. That's why I needed him to notice I cared for every second we spent together, for every effort he put in, and for the support he brought to my crumbling life. I needed Neteyam to know he had the biggest place in my heart. So I started my day early intending to make him feel that way.

I began with the breakfast. It wasn't something that would mean much, because we could have easily arrived at the common room and eaten there, but I felt like doing it. I wanted to and I could. First thing in the morning, I grabbed the wooden crossbow and dove into the waters of the beach. We had a lake right next to the shack that was an easier source of food, but I didn't want him to wake up by the sounds of movement in the water, so I walked further away and got us two pincer fish. I cooked them separately, putting more spice in mine than his, for he didn't like the burning feeling, and put them in separate wooden bowls. After that I just sat outside the shack, my back resting on a nearby tree, and looked at him sleep peacefully.