19. Return of the Tulkun (part 3)

Every time the Tulkun returned from their migration cycle it brought flashbacks from the year before. They were so similar. The horn, the cheering, the laughs, the quick swimming, and riding... Except this year was different. Quite a lot, actually. The Sullys were there, which I would have never imagined, and I was being hugged by one breathless Neteyam, just after sharing our first kiss. He looked at me with that pretty eyes of his while one of my hands was on his cheek and the other on his neck.

I smiled because even after getting abruptly interrupted in what had been the best moment of my entire life, completely tail curling and ear twitching, there was one good thing: I was going to see Lowsla.

"The Tulkun," I said to Neteyam.

"Oh, sure. I mean-"

I shut him up with a small kiss, our lips touching for only a couple of seconds. I stepped back before he could react, my arms falling to his chest and then holding one of his hands. If he didn't want to leave, then I'd be me who had to take the lead.

I smiled, again. "Come."

Neteyam followed me as I speed-walked to the village. I called Lìtzy with a whistle and some clicking sounds, and I stopped him before he could call his ilu. We could both ride mine. There wasn't anyone left in the village, not even the babies, and we could both freely hold each other.

I realized something at that moment, when it was only Neteyam and I. I didn't have to pretend anymore. There was to be no 'mating' with Atswon, no faking, no hiding my feelings. I wouldn't be judged if Neteyam and I were together, if everyone suddenly knew we were mates —only if it was said that it was something recent, and not that we became one over a decade ago—, and that all the fears I had had lingering on the back of my head and getting louder ever since meeting Atswon, disappeared into thin air. The voices in my head that used to repeat that he had probably regretted bonding with me, that I had ruined his happiness, and that he must have hated me, were nothing now. I didn't need to listen to them, I needed to listen to the loving boy in front of me.

"Wait," said Neteyam. I looked confused at him, as he quickly entered a random mauri and grabbed a piece of cloth. He took my left hand and stretched my arm. There was a tiny trail of blood on my wrist, like a sharp line. He wiped off the blood with his thumb and took my hand closer to his face. Neteyam gave a chaste kiss on the wound, his lips closed, but still making a little sound. He gazed at my eyes and back at the cut. "A kiss doesn't heal, but I'm sure it'll help," he said. He wrapped the cloth around my wrist and then interwove our fingers.

I could only stare at him, speechless. No one had done that to me before, and I kind of felt like he needed to know.

"I'm amazed, warrior boy, first person to kiss my wounds. Whenever did you become such a gentleman? Because you weren't like that as a child."

"Should ask you. Such a lady now, but used to say my feet were dipped in shit."

I reddened and frowned. I didn't remember that. "I'm sure they were."

"Sure, definitely, my love."

I exhaled and smiled, biting my bottom lip. He had now started with the nicknames. I didn't say anything and simply avoided his gaze all the way until we reached the crowd of Tulkuns and Metkayina. All the spirit Sisters and Brothers were reuniting and swimming around. There were mixed sounds of dozens of conversations.

As I had planned, Neteyam held onto my waist as we both mounted Lìtzy. His touch wasn't noticeably warm under the water, unlike it was outside, but knowing he was there, with everyone free to look at us, was enough.

It only took us —or better say me— half a minute to locate Lowsla. She was swimming close to a male Tulkun, who was clearly a bit older due to the number of tattoos on his stomach. She saw me and dived directly in my direction. Her form was immaculate but quite faster than she could slow down, so when she got close enough I jumped right into her face. She laughed and whirled around in the water. Oh, how I'd missed her.