Project GODS: Inactivity

Author's note: Dear fans, I hope you're still reading this after my long, drawn out stint of absence and lazy uploading. But to all of you, I'm back (in black) and I plan on uploading as faithfully as possible. Tell me what you think of my newest part, and I must say that if you've actually still kept this on your reading list you deserve an award. Love to you all! ~Zanintia

____________________________

      For the next few days, I was confined to the treehouse. It was impossible for me to move more than a few feet before my damaged body sent pains through my body that were worse than a burning fire or stinging ice.

     Peter kept me occupied, talking with me and conversing with me, despite my irritable manner and the incurable itch to fight with someone, anyone.

      Hermes dropped in to visit every few hours, tending to my wounds and ignoring my requests for news and yearn to step outside.

       Lycan was always the best, never leaving my side and refusing to be sated by anything other than my touch. He and Peter didn't get along at all, Peter's hatred of animals only intensified by Lycan's epic proportions and slobbery tendencies. Lycan disliked Peter more and more as he came to realize that he was not appreciated, a concept that he could never think of. After all, he was LYCAN.

       After a week of inactivity, I couldn't take it anymore.

       Hermes swung into the treehouse around noon, the sun beating down and forcing beads of sweat from their ducts. I sat up, glaring at him.

       "I've barely moved in the past WEEK, Hermes."

       "Artemis, I know you aren't used to the inactivity, but you have to under-"

       "I need to move. I don't care if it rebreaks my bones anymore. Aren't those 'Messiah Meds' doing me any good at all? I feel better, and I think that I at least deserve a slight walk. We're supposed to heal quickly, right!?"

       "Artemis, the damage done to your body is so extensive...the meds have only been tested for minor wounds and single breaks, not this kind of injury."

       "Well, now would be a good time to see if they work, wouldn't it?"

       "Artemis...."

       "Come ON, Hermes! I just want to take a little walk. If you think I can't handle it after taking a short turn in the trees, then you can forcibly drag me back to this godforsaken treehouse."

       Hermes smiled a little, his eyes disbelieveing. "I don't like it, but fine. It's not everyday I get permission to carry off a girl."

        Rolling my eyes, I allowed him to pick me up and carry me down from the treehouse, ignoring Peter's disapproving looks. I knew that he didn't want me up and about either, but unlike Hermes, didn't say anything.

       The sun was even hotter on the forest floor, burning my scalp through my matted hair. I needed a bath badly, and was a little amazed that Hermes was so close to me without wrinkling his nose in disgust. 

        He let go of me hesitantly, and I stood on my own. Feeling no pain, I took a ginger step forward.

        Again, I felt no pain. The Ambrosia had healed me better than either of us had dared to expect.

        With a mischevious grin, I eyed Hermes, who took on an expression of apprehension.

        "Artemis, don't-"

        And I was off, sprinting into the jungle.

        I was barely running, at speeds that a healthy me would have laughed at. But it didn't matter to me. I was running, and that was the only thing significant in my clouded mind.

         I could feel Hermes behind me, sprinting his fastest and gaining on me by the second. Not eager to be caught and rebuked, I tried to increase my speed, despite the fact that it was bad for me and my bones.

        The attempt at speed was wasted, because Hermes snatched my unbroken arm and stopped me dead in my tracks.

         Anger emanated off his body, an emotion I had not found in my time spent with him.

        "Artemis, you can't do that! You could hurt yourself all over again, or worse, get caught. We both know how vicious the other GODS have gotten, and I don't need-"

        "Since when have you gotten so serious?" I asked, crossing my arms in belligerence.

        "Since you almost DIED."

         "What does that have to do with it? If anything, I'm one less mouth to feed. It sure would put a lot of things out of the way, wouldn't it?" I spat, realizing the truth in my words. "Wouldn't it just be easier to kill me? Wouldn't it?! Just get it out of the way! Kill me! KILL ME!!" I shrieked, my voice echoing through the forest. A ridiculous action, but at this point, I didn't care. 

          Hermes crossed his arms, his face unchanging.

          "I can't lose you."

          He left me then, my eyes wide and frozen in shock.

____________