Project GODS: Battle

“Kill them?” I said in disbelief, almost too loudly. Hermes shot me a look for the volume, but readily agreed with me.

            “Peter, I know you may still be angry, but we can’t just-“

            “Yes we can. You’re both strong, fast, and your minds are still in place. Besides, face it, I doubt that anyone is coming to get us. Every time we’ve tried to get out of this damned place something happens to stop us, be it a mutant stampede or an attack of GODS. We have nothing to lose but our lives, and what life is it to spend on this godforsaken island?”

            “Peter, I understand you’re ready for this, but I don’t know if I am,” I replied. “I’ll admit that this makes me nervous. I don’t want to die yet, because I feel like there’s something else that I can do, or at least a slight hope for the future. Maybe we should wait.”

            Hermes stayed silent for a moment, staring blankly into space before he looked up and met my eyes with a terrifying expression.

            “Artemis. He’s right.”

            “What?” I gasped, taking a step back as my heart shuddered.

            “You have to consider the pros and cons. We’re born logical. Listen to my logic now. If we keep this up our death is inevitable. The most we’re doing now is quickening the process and making the Island safer for ourselves, assuming we survive.”

            “Hermes, I thought we had a little more hope then that.”

            “Don’t try to fool yourself into such wishful thinking. You were created a genius, don’t pretend not to be.”

            “I just…”

            “It doesn’t matter anymore. We have nothing to lose.”

            My argument had been diminished to ash before my eyes, and there was nothing I could do about it.

            With a sign of complete resignation, I nodded.

            Hermes gave me a bitter smile that nearly brought tears to my eyes, while Peter crossed his arms in growing frustration.

            “I apologize for my idiocy, but I just wanted to buy us some more time.”

            “We don’t HAVE any more time,” Peter snapped. “This is it. We’re down to the thinnest of wires and there isn’t much we can do about it.”

            “You’re right,” I replied, straightening up. “What’s our strategy?”

            “Well, Peter, you need to get to a safe spot-“

            “Safe spot my ass. I’m going in with you two.”

            “They’re GODS, you idiot!” Hermes snapped. “They’ll tear you limb from limb!”

            “Like you care. Wouldn’t it be convient? I know you were all for leaving me to die. Not to mention that you’d get her all to yourself!” Peter spat, his face turning beet red and the veins standing out in his neck.

            “Listen here, I have just as much of a right to-“

            “Shut UP!” I said, raising my voice as loud as I dared. Both of them turned to look at me, each with fury in their eyes. “You two are being ridiculous. Peter, Hermes may have been like that before but he’s changed and we all know that. And Hermes, Peter has every right to fight and might have a few advantages that those GODS don’t. Both of you need to get the fuck over yourselves and whatever issues that have come up between us. It’s damned ridiculous and you both know it. And for the record, if you’re both so stupid as to think that I would like either of you if you treat each other like this then you have another thing coming. If we survive this, I want you both to screw off and we all go our separate ways.”