Ch 15: New Shadøws

Nøkk held a silenced pistol and flashlight in her hands. The light shined down a long abandoned hallway. Old roof and loose floor tiles littered the moldy ground. The walls were covered in dirt, with light mold growing near the ceiling. Doc and Montagne followed just a few feet behind.

Doc: "There's nothing here. Could they have moved already?"

Montagne only grunted before returning to silence. Nøkk stopped walking when she came upon another hallway that ran horizontally. She peeked her head out and took a glance at the left and right paths. The right path ran to a dead end. But the left side of the hallway led to a slightly opened door. From the opened crack of the door Nøkk could see something faintly glowing.

The geiger counter that hung to her belt began to steadily increase it's volume. It buzzed and hummed as the team of operators approached the door. Montagne moved to the front of the group, holding his fully extended shield forward. Nøkk peeked around Montagne's shield and kept her eyes on the door. She held her pistol before her, preparing for anything to come out and attack. Doc put a hand on Nøkk's left shoulder and kept an eye on the door as well as taking glances to their flank.

When the trio got to the door, Montagne and Nøkk both nodded to one another. Doc raised his MP5 and covered their backs, fully looking down the hallway they had just moved through. Montagne put a small amount of pressure onto the cracked door with his shield before fully swinging it open. Both Nøkk and Montagne moved swiftly into the room. The shield wielding mountain moved forward like a mobile wall as Nøkk checked corners.

There was nobody inside of the room. Nøkk's geiger counter began to reduce in it's intensity while Doc entered the room. At the farthest wall in the back was a metal desk. It's side drawers were pulled open and papers were strewn around the floor. Sitting on top of the desk were the remnants of a shattered laptop, along with a case that held a glowing green glow-stick where the indent of an object was.

Nøkk approached the broken device and case, taking a closer look at them. When she lifted a shattered piece of the laptop, her geiger counter leveled off to normal. Then her radio crackled with Glaz's voice.

Glaz: "We— *static* may have a—"

Before he could finish his sentence Nøkk's radio shut off without her having done it. Coming the hallway the trio of Rainbow operatives had moved through moments before were multiple echoes of footsteps, along with accented voices. Doc kept his weapon trained onto the end of the hallway. Montagne turned his back to the doorway as Nøkk still searched the equipment on the desk.

When she finished, Nøkk saw two-thirds of a symbol that had marked the top of the broken laptop. It was familiar, like she had seen it before. Upon closer inspection Nøkk did in fact remember it. The symbol was apart of a patch John had on the inside of his Phantom's duffel bag. Looking through his gear while he was being interrogated gave her some minor, yet useful information.

Doc spoke but did not turn his head. Dimly lit flashlights shined towards the room as whoever was approaching moved swiftly.

Doc: "We have company!"

John sifted through his duffel bag and removed an outfit of clean clothing. They were the new clothes that he and Ela had bought. He quickly slipped into the clothes and left his room. But as he did, John noticed something sticking out from the side of his bag's unzipped top space. John took a quick glance down the hallway outside of his room before checking what was sticking out from his bag. John took the object and saw what it was. A patch to his Phantoms uniform.