Ch 18: Nø Møre Games

Carlos watched from the tree line as the drone swarms uncloaked and scanned the Bosak home. The inside of his mask showed a projected overlay, dropping a pair of lenses over the holes in his mask that covered his eyes. Carlos then pressed the side of his mask, near his left ear. There was a button present. The surface of the mask began to warp with a black and white wave-like digital effect to obscure the silhouette of his head. The same went for his plate carrier, jacket and pants.

The sniper teams along the tree lines kept firing into the home through windows and doors. Everyone could see where the family went. Exactly every attempt to ward off The Hunters was futile. Carlos raised his right arm and motioned forward, signaling his men to move forward towards the home. At least a dozen Hunters slowly approached the Bosak residence. Carlos grinned as another pulse scan from the drones showed his target splitting from the family. This was going to be easier than he ever thought.

Moments Ago...

Zofia placed her daughter on the stone patio in the backyard and watched as Anastasia began to play. It was quiet now as John and the others were inside deciding what to have for lunch. Anastasia picked a wild flower that had somehow bloomed in the uniform yard, turning to her mother and smiling. She began to run towards Zofia with the flower. The world began to slow down as Zofia quickly noticed something flicker through the petals of the flower Anastasia held. Zofia's eyes widened as the dot traveled up the backside of Anastasia's arm and what she assumed was the back of her daughter's head. Zofia ran to her daughter's bedside diving down and pulling them both to the ground.

A soft crack echoed through the air as a bullet zipped through the air and hit the white stone siding of the house. Zofia quickly stood up, holding Anastasia tightly in her arms and quickly ran inside, narrowly avoiding another bullet in the process.

Zofia ran into the kitchen where Ela, John and her husband and mother stood. To the groups left was a wall of large glass windows with white curtains that left the noon sunshine flow inside. Zofia saw the same dot appear on her husband's shoulder.

Zofia: "Get down!"

Zofia grabbed her husband's arm and pulled him towards the floor. Everyone looked at her in confusion before a bullet shot through one of the large glass panes and hit a hanging picture frame. The family dropped to the floor and crawled around the backside of the island countertop.

Zofia: "Who is shooting at us?!"

Zofia's husband watched as a red dot began to scan across the wall before them before disappearing.

???: "I think it's safe for us to move!"

The group shuffled to their feet before bolting down a white walled hallway. They stopped once they found the office where John and Zofia had spoken in the afternoon before. Ela opened the door and locked it once everyone was inside. Zofia and her husband covered the window inside the room with a bookshelf by pulling it across the room. Anastasia ran to John's mother and hugged her legs. Confusion set into John as his phone began to buzz repeatedly. Someone was calling him. The icon on his screen was black and white with an all too familiar design. John raised the device to his ear and answered.