The final days of peace

Arjun's pov

Kurukshetra

The days leading up to the first day of battle flew by; there was always too less time and too much to do. Drishtadyumna, much to Satyaki's open displeasure, insisted on an elaborate meeting every day with their leaders, which included the Akshouhini leaders and the King of Anga apart from the brothers and Madhav. These meetings started after lunch and nearly went on till dinner.

So all their weaponry practice had to be wrapped up by morning. That required either getting up at the break of dawn, or convincing/ threatening Drish to shorten his meetings. Bheem and Nakul had been all for the latter, but Yudhishthir insisted they get into the habit of waking up at dawn, for that was when the war would commence each day.

Arjun had extra hours to practice, because he could shoot with perfect aim in the dark, too. He had never met anyone with the same skill since his Gurudev taught him, so he was rattled one night when he made his way to the archery zone and found the King of Anga already practising.

Can't get rid of him even at night, thought Arjun, annoyed.

As he took his position, the King of Anga looked around. His expression suggested he was thinking exactly the same.

Maybe due to his annoyance or the distraction, his next shot was a bit awry. Arjun could not resist the urge to pass a snide comment.

"Let it be, Angaraj, let it be--thankfully for you, the war will be fought during daytime only."

"Be quiet, Arjun," said Karna.

His next shot was bang on target. He could shoot in the dark, it was clear.

"Not bad," said Arjun condescendingly.

"Be quiet."

"I am not a citizen of Anga. I do not take commands from anyone but Samrat Yudhishthir, Angaraj."

"We know that," assured Karna. "If fact, the extent of commands you take from Samrat Yudhishthir is often an entertaining topic during festivities in the whole of Aryan kingdom."

Arjun frowned. "What does that mean?"

Karna gave him a mirthless smile.

"Let's see," he said. "You are the only man in history who shared his wife with his brothers because Samrat Yudhishthir commanded you to. It makes for a hilarious retelling."

"Stay within your limits, Angaraj," said Arjun quietly.

"You were the one who asked me what it meant." Karna shrugged and turned back to his target. "There is also the matter of you brothers being happily gambled away by Samrat Yudhishthir before allowing your wife to be staked, but I do not wish to go into--"

He started back as Arjun's arrow went flying across in front of his face.

Karna turned to meet Arjun's eyes and accepted the wordless challenge.

They raised their bows and shot. Neither of them was so carried away by rage or hatred that they fought to kill or seriously injure; their aim was to disarm, not minding minor injuries along the way.

In spite of the scratches he sustained on his arms and a particularly bloody one on his thigh, it was, ironically, the most fun Arjun had had in a long time. The King of Anga was also bruised and slightly bloodied. It was actually nice to have an opponent whose skill matched his own. All other duels left him feeling an incomplete sense of victory.

To defeat the King of Anga would be true victory.

However, they could not disarm each other, just like in the arena of Hastinapur decades ago.