Abhimanyu's sermon

Arjun's pov

The bonfire had been the twins' and Drish's idea. Arjun thought it a particularly irrelevant thing to do in the midst of a war, especially after Iravan's death.

"But that just reinforces," pointed out Madhav, "that you need to cherish every moment during a war. Who knows if you will get the chance of sitting around a bonfire with the people you love again?"

"Madhav," said Arjun in despair. "You can see into the future--tell me what you know that I do not."

"You have nothing to worry about, Parth," assured Madhav. "Go and help your brothers kindle the fire."

"You come with me, too."

"I have to write home to dau and Subhadra. I am the messenger, you know. Go, now."

Arjun went away with the disgruntled feeling that Madhav had been trying to get rid of him.

***

Abhimanyu came and joined them.

"I need to talk to you all," he said with extreme dignity.

"Yes?" said the six of them.

"Not you, Uncle Drish," said Abhimanyu. "Nor you exactly, Uncle Yudhishthir."

That baffled them further.

"Sit down, kid," said Nakul, grinning, "and by all means, tell us."

Abhimanyu sat, for once without slouching.

"The King of Anga deserves to be treated better after being forced to fight on our side. He had to sacrifice a lot, and you have never even apologized for mocking him for his caste, have you?" He looked, in particular, at Bheem, who had undoubtedly insulted Karna the most.

"What--what put this into your head?" said Bheem feebly.

"Nothing put this into my head," said Abhimanyu evasively. "But Vrishaketu and jyesht Bhrata Vrishasena also believe all of you, including their father, have been stubborn long enough and it is time to grow up."

Drishtadyumna fell down, he was laughing so hard.

"Someone definitely put you up to this," said Sahadev, contemplatively. "Someone you listen to, someone who is smart, idealistic and good at persuasion....oh."

It had dawned on everyone at the same instant; who could have put Abhi up to this but Madhav?

"Well, I agree with Uncle Madhav," said Abhimanyu indignantly. "He did not have to persuade me."

"All right," said Yudhishthir indulgently. "We accept your and Madhav's stance. Even I have been thinking for a while we could give a greater effort to mend things with the King of Anga." He glanced at his brothers. "You have not mentioned his caste for a long time now. I expect you all regret it in some measure, as well. There is no harm in letting him know that."

"He will not be here in camp now, though," said Drishtadyumna. "He would most definitely be with Duryodhan. I fail to see what an honourable person like the King of Anga sees in Duryodhan, myself."

"Honour," said Arjun quietly, "includes loyalty towards friends."

"Point," said Drish with a grin.

Karna's oldest and youngest sons spotted the bonfire and wandered over.

"Want to warm your hands?" Abhimanyu offered.

Vrishasena and Vrishaketu sat down on either side of him. On the first day of the war, they--Vrishasena, at least--would never have joined a gathering that included their father's rivals. Today, they appeared to undergo no hesitation at all.