The truth

"The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."

~Albus Dumbledore

***

Arjun's pov

"Bheem," broke in the King of Anga. "Is there anything that would make you spare your cousins' lives?"

Arjun had never seen Karna look so frightened.

"No, Angaraj," said Bheem. "I am afraid that is not possible at all. It is not just about my oath to avenge Panchali, it is also about us striving to win the war. Do you think that is possible with our cousins alive?"

"What if--" Karna sounded desperate. "What if you got what you want without--without winning the war by killing everyone?"

"Do enlighten us regarding such possibilities," said Drishtadyumna.

"A truce," said Karna, clearly improvising. "You and your cousins could reach a truce, end the war."

"End the war?" echoed everyone.

"Precisely. If you can reach a truce with Duryodhan, think of how many lives will be saved. Our children, our family, everyone is in danger. Do you not want to put an end to it?"

Everyone was silent.

"Guru Drona's life, too, Arjun," said Karna, quickly turning to Arjun. "You know Vasudev is going to insist on Dronacharya's death next. Would you not try to avert it?"

Arjun had no idea what to say. He knew what he wanted to say, of course--yes, yes, I want to end this war. But he could not betray Madhav.

As if on cue, a familiar voice spoke from the entrance of the tent.

"Would you not, indeed, Parth?"

"M-Madhav?" stammered Arjun.

Madhav strolled in and squatted on the floor. 

"I could not resist listening in," he said, unabashed. "Answer the King of Anga's question, all of you."

Arjun wondered if it was a trick question.

"No," he said. "For the establishment of honour in the world, we must fight this war," he repeated.

"Honour can be established without war," said Karna instantly. "If the leaders adhere to honour--"

"Bhrata Duryodhan," snorted Nakul, "and honour."

"Suppose we could get everyone to adhere to honour--" But Karna's hope had died down as soon as it had come.

"Could we?" asked Yudhishthir quietly.

"How can we end the war, Angaraj?" said Nakul. "We will be back to living in the forest. I doubt we would be allowed to live in peace even in the forest without our cousins, one of them in particular, coming after us."

"And remember?" said Sahadev. "We were not allowed five villages by your friends, Angaraj."

Karna looked so broken Arjun could not help feeling sorry for him. Now that he had got to know the King of Anga, he had finally understood the extent of how much he had sacrificed for Duryodhan. He was a person with as strong a sense of honour as his jyesht. Arjun was sure, now, that Karna could not have wanted any of the worst things their cousin had done to them--the attempt to burn them alive, the gambling match, the refusal to return their own Indraprastha to them after the year of incognito--from his heart. But he loved Duryodhan so much he had gone along with all of it; by supporting with Duryodhan all his life, he had almost sacrificed his very nature.