The creator of the bed of arrows

Karna's pov

Day 10 of the Battle of Kurukshetra

As per Bhisma's advice to Yudhishthir the previous night, Arjun and Vasudev charged into battle behind Shikandin's chariot today. Bhisma's oath to not attack someone who was previously a woman was well-established. Vasudev did not let anyone debate the righteousness of the act of hiding behind someone in battle, though everyone must have known it was in no way right.

But that day, Arjun did not question their decision.

Karna had been sure Arjun would cling on to the wrongness of it to protect himself from attacking his grandfather another day, but something seemed changed in his brother.

He spoke and moved normally. Only his eyes looked beyond them all.

That day, he struck Bhisma at full force, holding nothing back.

***

Bhisma did not raise his weapons on Shikandin, and thus, Arjun. Like the master he was, he held off Shikandin and Arjun and slaughtered troop after troop of the Pandavas. Amongst several others, including Drishtadyumna and Abhimanyu, Karna fought to cut down the ones protecting Bhisma. It became a general battle, with the best warriors of both sides clustered around

Against Arjun's relentless attack, Duryodhan appointed Dussashan the head of the army defending Bhisma.

***

Karna's effort automatically lost half its vigour. Dussashan had been more of a brother to him than his blood brothers could ever be. No one could make him lift a weapon on him.

And at the same time, it was his duty to follow his commander's orders: clear the way for Shikandin and Arjun.

It would have been an impossible choice if Dussashan had taken it upon himself to stop Karna personally. Fortunately, he was as determined to avoid a direct face-off with Karna as the latter was.

***

Arjun fought like a mechanical demon that day. His hands wielding the Gandiva appeared mere instruments to a higher calling that was not his own brain. After almost three-quarters of the day, after inflicting repeated wounds, did Arjun finally manage to disarm Bhisma. Shikandin moved out of the way.

Karna's chariot was alongside Arjun's. He risked a sideways glance.

A bit of humanity had finally returned to Arjun's thus-far rigid posture as Vasudev said, "Come on, Parth."

Arjun's hold on the Gandiva was quite steady, but the look in his eyes made Karna feel desperately sorry for him.

"Shoot him, Parth," said Vasudev. "He has embraced his death, and the heavens know. Shoot him."

Arjun looked away from his opponent. Now his eyes were closed.

"Vasudev," called Karna, suddenly wondering why it had not occurred to him that he was as good as Arjun, and unlike Arjun, had no attachment towards Bhisma. "I will do it."

His brother opened his eyes again. Hopeful.

Karna made a gesture with his hand which he hoped conveyed the message.

I've got your back.

Arjun must have got it.

"Move our chariot out of the way, Madhav," he said, sounding grateful.

But Vasudev made no move on their chairot.

"Your grandfather would much rather die defeated by you than the King of Anga, Parth," he said softly. "If you love him, grant him that."