Chapter 5.

Jailed Father

Jailed Father

Wednesday didn't give you a glance as you both sat opposite from each other. She was so set on wanting to learn what truly happened when you were ready to let it go if your mother said so. Everything seemed rather tense with the both of you. Which was rather unusual. You two almost never got into fights and when you did it would only last a couple of minutes. But that was a time when the both of you were young children that could barely hold grudges. You both had grown into teenagers that had different mindsets and couldn't get out of them. Forever stuck in your own opinions and experiences.

You saw as police entered the quad. Weems immediately asked the sheriff, "May I ask what this is about, Sheriff?"

Galpin didn't answer as he made his way towards your family table. "Gomez Addams!" He yells.

Your father stood up and turned towards him. "How can I help you?"

You too stood up prepared to ask questions. Galpin pulls out his handcuffs. "You are under arrest for the murder of Garrett Gates. You have the right to remain silent–"

"You are seriously going to do it here?" You gave him an angry look.

Galpin waves you off as he starts dragging your father out of the quad. "Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law."

"Dad?" Your family stood unmoving.

A scowl coming up your lips as Gomez tried assuring you four that everything will be okay only for him to be turned away by Galpin. "You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you." Watching as he was dragged out of the quad.

✦➶ 𝕥𝓘мẸ ˢк𝐈𝐩 ➷✧

Waving off any grudges of your opinion on the situation, you and Wednesday sat next to one another as you watched your father sit down, covered in orange.

Thing ends up climbing up onto the glass, pressing himself against it. Gomez places his hand on the glass where Thing was, a soft smile on his face before retracting it. His dark eyes landed on you both with an ashamed look. "My little tormentas, how's your mother doing?" He instantly asks.

"Devastated. She hates you in orange," Wednesday says as you stay quiet not knowing what to say. "I caught her laying a rose on a grave earlier today." You sighed under your breath, looking away. "The headstone read "Garret Gates." The very boy you've been arrested for murdering. Care to explain."

Silence filled the air. Gomez eyes bouncing from Wednesday to you to nothing. "Garret was infatuated with your mother. He mistook her kindness for interest. His infatuation turned into obsession, and he started stalking her."

"Why didn't you call the police?"

"We tried. But his family was the oldest and richest in Jericho. No one believed us." He explains to her. "Garrett's father, an outcast-hating bigot, was furious your mother had accused his only son. It all came to a head that night of the RaveN Dance. Your mother and I stepped out to catch our breath. And that's when I saw him. He had broken into the school." You listened to his voice carefully, his words flowing into your ears. "His twisted love for your mother had made him insane. His eyes bore into me, brimming with murderous intent. My life flashed before my eyes. Driven by jealousy and hate, Garrett was unstoppable. When I saw the sword, my survival instincts kicked in. It was a terrible accident."

"Thank you for being honest with us." Wednesday used a monotone voice. More than usual. It made her sound like a robot.

He apologizes, "I'm sorry I wasn't a better father." He looked as if he was about to cry .

Wednesday sharks her head, "Could we please do without the overt display of emotions."

Gomez nods his head in understanding. "I know they make you feel uncomfortable."

Wednesday then questions him, "How many fathers hand their daughters a fencing blade when she's five years old?" When you were five you were handed a microscope to look at the many stars and planets.

"Your saber strokes were an essay in perfection."

"Or teach her to swim with sharks." He taught you around that time how to identify every ocean animal in the sea.

"They found you as cold-blooded as I do."

"The right way to flay a rattlesnake." You got your first bullseye with a throwing ax.

"They really do taste like chicken when prepared properly."

"The point is, you taught me–" Her eyes dangle over you. "–us how to be strong and independent. How to navigate ourselves in a world full of treachery and prejudice. You are the reason I understand how imperative it is that I never lose sight of myself." Gomez doesn't say anything. "So as fatherhood goes, I would say you've been more than adequate."

He tries showing minimum emotions keeping his tears at bay. "Gracias, Wednesday."

She leaves, leaving you and your father to yourselves. "I love you Dad."

Your father smiles warmly at you, "Love you too, mija." You return the smile, Thing crawls into your bag and you leave.

" You return the smile, Thing crawls into your bag and you leave