Chapter one

CAMILA ALVAREZ

LUCA

"Finally! My shift is over

"Finally! My shift is over. I'm heading home now." I said, untying the apron from my neck.

"Home? Come on girl! We need to party. It's a Friday night." My best friend, Mia said. She was seated on top of the counter.

" But I'm tired. I'll join you next time. I promise." I tell her.

"You keep saying that. Get a life bestie and stop locking yourself in your room twenty four seven. I wonder how Rafael hasn't gotten tired already." She said watching my movements as I paced around the locker room.

" I already have a life Mia. Serving this people is my life and that's what I like to do." I defended myself.

"And what is it about Rafael that you keep mentioning his name?" I asked.

"Dude! Are you blind? The guy has been trying to get your attention but you keep pushing him away. " She says climbing off the counter. " You don't even give him a chance to express himself and how he feels about you." She continues, holding my arms as she looks at me closely.

Mia has been my best friend since highschool. She is slightly taller than me and has black straight raven hair compared to my afro curvy one.

" We are just friends Mia. I thought I made it clear to you." I said looking anywhere else but her.

" This is bullshit Camila. How many times do you plan on hurting him? Shish!" She says and sigh then let's go of my arm.

I did not want to continue arguing with her. So I packed my things and we got out of the restaurant after clearing myself at the exit and wishing the guard a goodnight.

" Aike is waiting for as at the packing lot. Let's go." She said once we left the exit.

"Waiting? Aren't we not going home?" I asked. This made Mia stop and faced me bewildered.

" Rafael did not tell you?"

" Tell me what?" I asked quizzingly.

She cursed under her breath, closing her eyes for a brief moment before meeting my gaze again.

" Let's just go. I'll tell you on our way there." She said and took my hands on hers then walked to the parking lot.

Aike was leaning against his Mercedes scrolling through his phone. He saw as approach and smiled genuinely pulling Mia in his arms and kissed her.

"Hey beautiful." He said to her after the long kissing section.

"Hey." She responded giggling.

"Camila, how are you?" He asks me after letting her go.

"Fine." I responded and hugged him briefly.

Aike and Mia have been dating since highschool senior year. Their relationship by then was not smooth since they met on a rough path but managed to work on their differences. Now, looking at them, all I see is two love birds crazy into each other.

" Now I get it why Rafael did not tell you. He knew you wouldn't go."

Mia said as Aike drove out of the lot. " Go? What do you mean?" I asked.

" The race silly! It starts today." She said.

"Shit! I had clearly forgotten about that." I said, my mind running back to when Rafael told me. He mentioned the race yesterday but I was too busy thinking about my mum's illness. What the hell is wrong with me?