Chapter nine

I could feel my heart thrumming as I stood in front of his desk. It felt like forever before he even acknowledged my presence. He was busy attending to his small plant, pruning, his spectacles lying low on his nose for support.

The only sounds in the room were that of the clock as it moved, the pair of  scissors whenever he pruned a leaf from his plant and my beating heart. I wonder if he could hear it?

"Camila, right?" He asked, looking at me through his glasses as he settles the pair of scissors on the desk and leaned down on his chair.

" Yes sir." I replied.

"How long have you been working here Camila?" I hate it when my name comes out of his mouth already.

" Four months sir."

" And for those four months Camila, have you seen any of our employees disrespect a customer?" Where is this conversation heading to?

" I've never experienced anything of the sort sir." I reply nonchalantly although my head screamed otherwise. I'm totally screwed! That's for sure.

" Well, because of your indecency the other day. You made us lose someone who was going to invest much in this restaurant. We are back to square one Camila. And it's all because of you and that protective brat that came to your rescue that night. You know, it could have been easier if you just let it go and tell that guy to keep his anger issues to himself cause no one really cared Camila. No one would have even remembered anything and the world would have just moved on fine." He said, now throwing hands in the air.

" But what did you do? You just let that guy defend you, at the same time ashaming the entrepreneur. We've lost a big contract young girl. I'm not  sorry to say that you are fired. Leave my office, and don't forget to grab your things on your way out." He said, sending me deadly glares. What?

I felt like the whole world shattering around me as what he said kept repeating itself inside my head. You are fired. You are fired. Don't forget to grab your things on your way out.

" Please sir. I don't have anything left-"

" Did you think about that at that time? I guess not. Please leave before security drives you out." He scoofed pointing towards the door.

I couldn't prevent the tears that flowed down my face uncontrollably as I ran out of the office. Reina was at the front bar as she saw me running towards the locker room and quickly followed me.

" Camila, are you okay." She asked as I quickly changed back to my home clothes.

" I need to go Reina. Please." I begged, before grabbing my bag and started running out of the restaurant. I ignored the weird stares the customers were sending my way as I quickened my pace.

A pair of hands stopped me before I could make it towards the door.

" Hey, what's wrong?" That rich deep voice asked me. I would recognise it from anywhere.

" Camy." He murmured, before turning me around to face him. The concern look he once held turned into anger as he saw the tears that stung my eyes.

" What did he do?" He asked, anger radiating through his voice.

" Luca, please. I don't need this right now. I just need to go home." I pleaded, my eyes boring into his.

His features softened a bit. He nodded his head and intertwined his hands with mine before walking out of the restaurant.

" You need to tell me what happened in there Camy." He argued as we arrived at a secluded area.

He did not let go of my arm but just held on to it and rubbed it softly as he turned to me.