Chapter I: Baudelaire Academy

✧

         When I was young I dreamed of being invisible. The ability to run through large groups of people and live my life without the fear of being seen. Now that fear plagues me, coursing through my body like oxygen in my veins. My chest feels as if it will constrict until it is only the size of a shriveled up apple. I feel like my parents have thrown me into a lion's den, and in a way they did. 

          My parents enrolled me in Baudelaire Academy because they hate me. I understood why but it hurt to feel like they wanted me to fail. Baudelaire was the school of rich and powerful kids from all over the world. And even if my parents owned a pharmaceutical company I was nowhere near their level. 

            When I entered the school my parents had to sign a multitude of papers to ensure that they wouldn't sue if something happened to me. Students did what they wanted because of their lack of consequence. They did things I didn't want to even imagine. 

          I was snapped out of my thoughts as my name was called. I quickly brought my eyes back to the man in front of me. 

          "So-hee?" The counselor by the name of Mr. Blue called. I couldn't help but wonder if that was his actual name.

          He was quite handsome and looked pretty young. His hair was pulled back revealing his structured cheekbones and jaw. He was skinny and lanky but something about him felt powerful. 

          "Yes?" I brought my eyes back to his.

          "Are you alright, you looked like you were spaced out." Mr. Blue smiled gently, reading my expression.

          "Uhm, I was. I'm very sorry." I bit my lip as I tried to take a breath to calm myself down.

          "It's perfectly all right. I was just giving you your class schedule." Mr. Blue handed me a laminated sheet of paper.

         I took the sheet from his hands and laid it carefully on the other papers he had given me.

          "Your first class is AP Macroeconomics with Ms. Sarris," He brought his arm up to check his watch. "It starts in about ten minutes." 

           I nodded, hiding my hands as they shook in my lap. 

          "Do you have any questions before you go?" Mr. Blue inquired.

          "No, not right now sir." I affirmed, trying my best to give him a confident smile. I didn't need to see it to know I failed, it probably looked closer to dread than happiness. 

          "Would you like me to walk you. I don't have any more appointments for the morning, we don't get many new students." Mr. Blue tilted his head at me, he was reading me like a book but was kind enough not to mention my state of panic.