6/10

It was cold.

Of course it was. The cold metal of ice skates sat neatly on (Y/N)'s lap as she held them close to her. She took a deep breath, not bothered as it immediately condensed into a small misty cloud of her calming breaths. Her eyes were shut closed as her fingers moved to graze the side of the blades of her skates.

'In elementary school, I dislocated my shoulder landing wrong on a jump.' She thought, replaying the times she felt as if her skating career was over, 'During a free skate I grabbed my blade wrong and cut my hand, not noticing until my program was over.'

Her eyes furrowed in thought, remembering her small moment with Kageyama from a few weeks ago, 'Although I have troubles with myself and my sport... I feel better knowing that I helped others overcome their hurdles.'

"Hello~ Earth to my lovely, amazing, talented daughter!" At the voice of her coach (and father), she snapped out of her ritual and looked up at the man with her signature stoic look gracing her face, "You and your little habit... were your thoughts really taking up all of your attention?" he hummed, ruffling her head.

She fixes her hair before putting on her skates, "There's times I feel like I'm falling out of love with skating." a ghost of a frown appeared on her face as she tucked her laces in. She then thinks about Kageyama and his passion towards volleyball. The sparkling look in his eyes, trying to contain his excitement towards the sport. She felt the warmth radiating from him which completely contrasted the coldness that she exuded.

Sure, she loved ice skating. It was something she was passionate about, but at times she thinks that it doesn't compare to others and their feelings towards their own hobbies. Did she like ice skating because she was good at it? Or did she truly love it?

(Y/N) steps onto the ice, rolling up the sleeves of her jacket, and put on a pair of gloves. She did a few practice step sequences and threw a few practice jumps in. The frown appeared once again and she comes to a halt, turning her head to look at her dad, "Is there something wrong with me?" she asked, truly confused on how to feel.

"Of course there isn't anything wrong. However, sometimes people get to a stopping point in their path and they're not sure on where to go." He leaned against the guard, tilting his head in confusion, "Is there something that's bothering you?"

Kageyama Tobio. She thinks. The look of elation all over his face, his tight grasp around her waist as they were buzzed off of the thrill of finally landing that set, "There's a boy..."

Her father's face fell. A boy? He's never once had to think of a boy entering his little girl's life. Was he even good enough for her? WAS HE THE ONE DISCOURAGING HER AND FEELING THIS WAY ABOUT SKATING? His mind went wild at the thought of someone courting his little girl, his life, his everything (next to his wife of course).

"He plays volleyball and just by watching him practice I can sense the dedication radiating off of him." She recalls the events vividly, never forgetting that feeling as she looks at her hands, "The intensity of his devotion is... inspiring to say the least. What I felt from him about his sport, I can't feel it from me about mine. Maybe I do hate skating."

He went quiet, thinking about her words. Then, he gestures her over to skate towards him near the guard. As she does he begins to pulls out his wallet, "Do you remember when I first brought you onto the ice?" he asked, seeing as she shook her head no, "Well.. that day I saw something from my cute little girl that I've never really seen before. You've always been pretty aloof, so this moment I knew there was something special."

Taking out an old polaroid from his wallet, he show her a special sight. In the photo was (Y/N) and her father on the ice. He was holding her hand as a wide-eyed young (Y/N) was grinning widely. A small blush was apparently on her cheeks as she looked up at her father in excitement.

"That day, you had immediately fell in love with the ice. You asked for your own pair of skates and whenever you got the chance you asked to go to the rink." He put the photo back in his wallet, "Ever since then, I can still see the devotion and fondness you have for ice skating. Sure maybe you may not feel like it, but I notice it."

(Y/N) looks at her dad with nothing but gratefulness glittering in her eyes, "I see.." she almost whispers.

"How could you tell how much volleyball means to that boy if you haven't felt that feeling yourself?"

He was right.

Noticing his daughter's silence, he hummed in thought, "Since you always watch this boy play volleyball, why don't you invite him to watch your qualifiers for regionals?"

Her head darted up, her eyes sparkling at the thought. She rushes off the ice, remembering to wipe down her skates before putting on the guards and tossing them in her bag, "See you at home!" she calls out, rushing to leave the rink and completely leaving her dad in the dust.

He blinks once before letting out a small sigh and decided to call his wife, "Ah yes, darling? I'll be heading home early.... she'll join us later... yes i'll pick up some daikon... yes... yes... of course I won't forget about your kisses."

Meanwhile, (Y/N) is running a steady jog as she was still adjusting her gym bag to sit properly on her shoulder. If she remembered correctly, Kageyama had invited her to watch his afternoon practice which she had to skip on since she had skating practice.

Though, the practice should still be going on strong for the next hour and if she kept her pace she should be there within the next fifteen minutes. Her heart raced, partially because of the jogging but other because it had never crossed her mind to invite Kageyama to watch her skate in the same way he asked her to watch him practice.

She couldn't wait to ask him.

Karasuno enters her view and her jog speeds up. She stands in front of the gymnasium doors as she pants to catch her breath. A dusting of a blush present on her face as she attempted to calm down. Her breathing slowed, yet her heart still raced. She was nervous.

Her hand hovered over the handle of the gym door as thoughts raced through her mind. Now that she thought about it, why did she remember that day so vividly. Kageyama's gaze never left her mind and that feeling always seemed to creep in her veins. She had never felt so passionate about someone else's feelings, hell she's never felt this passionate about her own feelings. Maybe just maybe...

Was she in lo-

"Hello?" Daichi looked at the girl standing in front of the gym door. The team had just finished practice and were all heading to the club room to change when there was a mysterious girl standing (possibly waiting?) in front of the door. Her stoic look was completely contrasted by the slightly reddened face, disheveled clothes, and small uneven breaths.

Her eyes look past him and meet Kageyama's. That's when she felt it. Her words getting caught in her throat and the reddening of her face growing ever more. She almost forgot why she ran all the way back to school in the first place. As her request flowed out of her mouth with a slightly rushed tone that when she knew.

Yes, she was in fact in love with Kageyama Tobio.