Chapter 9

"How long will you be gone again?" Mom asked as she placed a shirt with a pair of shorts on my bed.

"Two days, three nights." I say, scanning the outfits mom put together and approving the first one.

"I see, and the boy who you were quote kissing, his family is going to be there?" She asked. I blushed but nodded. "And how exactly do I know that I'm sending you off in good care, Miss Kat Stone?" Mom places a hand on her hip.

"Well, it just so happens that Mister and Misses Mathews has twins. Nolan and Chase." I say. Her face lights up.

"Wait, you're going camping with Mister and Misses Mathews?" She asks, even though I just made that clear.

"Yup." I said and then I could almost see the light bulb flash above her head. "And no I will not do any sucking up." I say, shaking my head at her.

"Okay, but be polite. Remember, that's your dad's boss." Suddenly, an eerie feeling twisted my stomach. Why does it have to matter that he's dad's boss? And why did Nolan have to hold that over my head if he doesn't even talk to me? And why was I beginning to fall for Chase Mathews? Ugh, too many questions I really don't want the answers to.

"Okay, that's it." Mom said after putting the last outfit neatly in my suitcase. Now, I was ready to go. I pulled up my shirt to hide as much cleavage as possible and pulled on my combat boots.

I went downstairs just in time for the doorbell to ring. Pulling my suitcase behind me, I walked to the door and mom followed suit. I opened it and stood completely surprised and breath-taken by Nolan, who had his hands in his pockets. He looked up at me and I shamelessly scanned his wardrobe choice. He had on a black t-shirt with black jeans and his hair was rustled by the wind.

"Hey." I said awkwardly, to break the silence.

"I'm just here to pick you up." He said, equally as awkward but quickly gained his confidence and straightened up.

"Oh. Where's Chase, I thought he was picking me up?"

"Well, he's running a bit late from his job and he'll be at the camp by tomorrow." Nolan said. Mom cleared her throat which caused Nolan to turn his attention to her. "If that's okay with you Mrs. Stone." He said, with a smile. He should smile more often.

"Yes, but don't let her out of your sight. She tends to wander." Mom giggled.

"I can handle myself in the woods." I say, crossing my arms and leaning against the door hinge. This gets Nolan's attention and he took a step forward.

"Not with my security." He said in an almost whisper. I totally forgot that my mom was there and he was giving me that look. The one that said, I have many ways to ruin this camping trip for you. Something tells me that I will be seeing a lot more of Nolan over this camping trip than I intended. We stare at each other in silence for a while before my mom says something.

"I'll get your bag in the car."

"No, it's okay, I've got it." Nolan replied. Mom nodded with a pleased look on her face. Nolan lifted my bag and turned swiftly. I couldn't help but stare at his biceps as he put the bag in the trunk. They flexed a bit more than necessary which led me to believe he was doing it on purpose. Gosh, there's no denying that this guy is seriously the sexiest guy I've ever seen. And I've seen Channing Tatum. Which is probably why I look like an idiot drooling over him. But I would never let him know that. However, he is the jerkiest guy I've ever met and I will surely let him know that.

"Thank you." Mom said. Then in a whisper she looked at me. "So what's the deal with you and the Mathews twins?"

I chuckled nervously, shocked that she had taken an interest in my non-existent love life.