Chapter 23

My eyes flutter open as little feathers fall from the ceiling. I hear soft Beethoven in the background and my stomach flutters with tingles of happiness. SIKE NAHH!

A crash makes my eyes snap open. I look around the room but I don't see Nolan. All of a sudden, Chase crashes through the doors and I sit up in bed and run my fingers over my face.

"We uhm.. need your help." Chase points through the doorway where I can see a bit of smoke escaping the partially cracked door. I jump out of bed and run down the stairs, alert and wide awake.

"What the heck are you guys doing?!" I yell at Chase. When I got down the stairs, to my surprise, nothing was burning and instead, Nolan, Carrie, Lana, and Maddie stood in front of a well- decorated living room with streamers and posters saying Happy Birthday. A grin breaks out on my face when I see Chase and Travis in the corner with little fire sticks. They all smile at me and started singing happy birthday at the count of Lana's "1,2,3!"

"Happy Birthday, Kitty Kat." Lana hugged me after they ended the song.

"You have no idea what type of fun we have planned for today!" Carrie giggled.

"Thank you guys! But you really don't have to. I wasn't planning on-"

"Cake anyone?" Travis cut me off.

"Ooh, me." Chase lets go of Carrie and she stumbles a bit in his rush to get to the cake. I snicker at her and she sends me a death glare.

"Cake? This early in the morning?" Lana asks. Everyone turns to her and gives her an obvious "Yes!"

The cake was a circle with sloppy lettering that said "Nobody Loves You!" (Picture's on the side)

I read it and scanned every single face that huddled over the cake.

"Who did this?" I dead- panned. Everyone looked at Maddie.

"I guess they mixed up the cakes." she shrugged. Everyone busted out laughing, including me.

"You made it from scratch, Maddie." Lana gave her away.

"Shut up, Lana." Maddie stuck her tongue out at her.

"This cake is brilliant." I say, giving Maddie a hug. Someone sliced it up and we ate it all. Maddie and Lana took turns to telling the others embarrassing stories of me and even though I kept denying them, I think everyone could tell they were true by the reoccurring blush in my cheeks.

"Happy birthday, beautiful." Nolan kissed my cheek.

"Thank you." I smiled. He hugged me.

"Okay, split it up. Part two of Kat's birthday starts at Noon." Carrie pulled me away from Nolan. "Chase. Guys, you know what to do. Do it." Carrie added, giving them each a stern look. They nodded and the girls led the way upstairs. I looked back at Nolan who was staring at me with a cute, boyish smile. He winked at me before I continued up the stairs. We entered a guest room and Maddie went over to the closet.

"Okay, put this on." Maddie pulled out a pair of washed-out, high waisted shorts and a plain, tight fitted crop top with a red and black plaid cardigan. My type of outfit.

"You guys came through." I giggled.

"Yupp, it's your birthday and we figured you should wear something you want to wear and feel comfortable in." Maddie smiled at me. I hugged her and the other girls squeezed me as well.

"You girls are amazing." I say, locking eyes with each of them.

"Oh, that was just my part of the outfit." Maddie said. Lana went over to a dresser and pulled out a bag.

She gave me the bag and the first box I pulled out contained a couple rings. The second box had a bracelet with charms that personalized my friendship with Lana. The third and final box had a necklace. Not just any necklace. I looked up at her and I could see that she really wanted me to be happy with this. Mission accomplished, Lana.

"Is this?" I ask. She nods.

"The necklace in the dirty unda-ware store." She laughed so hard tears filled her eyes. I hugged her.

"This necklace was the beginning of our friendship. How did you find it?" I asked, trying to hold back tears while laughing.

"I found the owner and he gave it to me." She said. When we were about seven years old, by fate, her mom and my mom both went to the same store. We both saw the necklace and started fighting for it. Literally, we thought we were the next John Cena and started punching and thrashing for it. Yup, we were violent kids. Our mothers ended up talking and therefore, we became friends. And for the dirty unda-ware part, that's the store's name. Don't ask me who came up with that name because I'm pretty sure it was a crack head. She laughed and dried her tears.

"We're not done yet." Lana said. Carrie went over to the closet and pulled out a box. My face contorted to pure happiness as she opened the lid. New, shiny and laced combat boots.

"Your old ones were getting torn up." She said and I laughed and hugged her tightly, whispering thank you.

"Okay, now that you're old, let's get ready so that we can go out and be young again with the guys." Lana giggled. My phone went off for the fifth time today and I checked the caller id, already knowing who it was. My mom's face appeared on the screen. I pressed ignore and pushed the phone back into my pocket. Forty- five minutes later, the guys were banging on the door, cursing threats at us.

"If you break this door, we will sue you." Carrie yelled.

"It's our house." Nolan replied.

"Shut up and go away for ten minutes, Nolan." Maddie yelled through the door. We heard a sigh and then there was silence.

"Nine minutes, fifty-nine seconds." Travis yells.

"Shut up!" I yell at him.

"Okay, grab my shoes, Maddie." Carrie says and Maddie does as told. I sit in front of the mirror, finishing my curls.

"You're going straight?" Lana asks Maddie.

"Yup!" Maddie, runs her hand through her straight, shiny hair. I smile at them. They all looked gorgeous.

"Let's go." Lana said. Maddie sprayed hairspray on my hair to keep it in place and I placed lip-balm on my lips.

I stand up as Maddie finishes and I make my way to the door. Lana opens the door and the guys get up off the floor.

"We weren't that long." Carrie rolls her eyes at them. They nodded.

"It took us twenty minutes." Nolan sassed.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Let's go." Carrie pointed toward the stairs.

"Birthday girl in my car, and we'll take Lana." Nolan said. We split up and went to the driveway. Carrie rode with Chase, Travis and Maddie and Lana rode with us.

"Where are we going?" I ask. "I'm not good with surprises." I whine.

"If you keep whining, I'm going to have to tape up your mouth shut." Nolan said. I groaned and placed my head against the window. He entwined his fingers with mine but I shake it away with a dramatic pout. He glanced over at me with a raised brow.

"Not until you tell me where we're going." I stick my tongue out at him and he shakes his head with a chuckle. Lana fake pukes in the back and I laugh at her.